5

"Good morning, Racquel," Joyce greets.

"Good morning, Ms. Byers," I flash her a smile.

"I heard that you met my youngest last night when you were out trick or treating."

"Will," I recall his name as I step behind the counter. "How is he, by the way? I know he was shaken up last night."

"What?"

I tilt my head. "He didn't tell you?"

Slowly, Joyce shakes her head.

"We were heading up to a house. Some kids jumped out and scared him and he fell. I think he got embarrassed because he ran away. Mike left with him and wouldn't let anyone else say anything. I was going to go to someone's house and ask if I could use their line to try and call the store to see if you were in."

Joyce leans forward on the counter. "He was.. embarrassed?"

"I mean he was pretty shaken up. He hid behind a wall and was almost crying. I worried about him all night."

"And it was.. you, Will, and his friends? Jonathan wasn't there?"

"Jonathan.. Your oldest?" I remember her talking about him. "No. No, Jonathan wasn't there."

"He wasn't?" Joyce asks- I could see flames of anger in her eyes.

Oh shit. Sorry, Jonathan.. I think I just threw you to the wolves.

"I was there kind of chaperoning my buddy's sister. Will was there and so was Mike, Dustin, and Lucas. But.. that's all. I mean-" 

Before I could say anything else, Joyce stands up straight. "Dear, could you cover my shift?"

I don't even get to confirm or deny my availability. Joyce dashes out of the store and down the street.

--

"Yo," I call to Max, curling my finger a few times to motion her my way.

She and Billy had just gotten out of school and Billy was working out in the living room. Max steps into the doorway of Billy's room and I roll over on the bed to sit up and face her.

"What?" she asks with a frown.

"Did you see Will at school today?" I whisper.

Max looks down the hall to Billy, then steps a little closer as her own voice drops to a whisper.

"He totally was freaking out. Lucas kept telling me all this stuff about how they won't tell me what's really up with Will because it's for 'my safety'."

"The hell?"

Max crouches down, her arms on the bed. "Dustin found this like.. lizard thing. He thinks it's a pet and he said the thing is some new species he found."

"Lizard thing..?"

"It's gross. Like.. super slimy and makes these weird noises."

"Remind me why you're friends with these guys again."

Max chuckles and shakes her head. "Will had this weird episode. He was like twitching and stuff. Joyce came and picked him up and took off before saying anything."

"I work with Joyce at the shop. I told her about those brats scaring him and how he acted after and she did the same thing. She just left without telling me anything."

Max folds her hands and rests her chin there. "These people are weird. I think they think I'm stupid just because I'm a girl."

"There's nothing wrong with being a girl," I urge.

"Sure feels that way sometimes. I don't get to do things or say things.. It sucks."

I hop off the bed and peer around the corner to Billy. He was still staring at the tv- blaring music as he worked out. 

I knew Billy worked out. It was obvious just by looking at him. I couldn't even remember when he started working out because it seemed like he'd been doing it forever.

He's changed since those young days, though. He had an actual dumbbell now. When we were in California, he used bags full of sand to lift. He's grown since then, too.

I take a moment to just.. appreciate the fact I found him. The gang stuff really got in the way. I didn't even know about his mom leaving and Neil remarrying. It made me feel like a shit friend.

I look Billy up and down. He wasn't the boy with a surfboard anymore. He was taller. Stronger. His hair was longer. His voice was deeper.

It was like the past few months of silence catching up all at once. I suddenly felt like I was taking Billy for granted. I found him after all the bad things I went through. I had to remember that above the step-sister, shitty town, and high school drama Billy was still William Hargrove- the boy I grew up with and adored for most of my life.

But.. it was like I still missed Billy despite being so close. Maybe that's because he'd changed so much. I hated Neil for putting Billy through all this.

I wonder if Billy used working out as an excuse. Maybe he was trying to be strong enough to one day give Neil a taste of his own medicine. I could only hope.

He was getting there, though. Billy's arms were bigger. He had abs that I'd never seen on him before. I smile softly as I look him over.

What was I doing?

I blink a few times and look back into the room. Max was standing up with a blank look on her face.

Right. Max is upset. Girl things. Lucas. Secrets.

I rub my head and pick up my emergency backpack I made. It had all my shit in it just in case Neil passed by and I needed a quick getaway. 

I put one strap around me before holding my hand out to Max. "Come on."

Max grabs my hand and I ease out of the room with her right behind me. We tiptoe into Max's room.

I slowly shut the door and lock it. I sit on the floor and Max follows. 

"Being a girl can be fun," I assure, pulling my backpack onto my lap. "And I'm gonna show you how."

"How's that?"

I dump the small pile of makeup onto the floor. Max makes a face of disgust.

 Max makes a face of disgust