20

ONE YEAR LATER

I pose on the doorframe. "What's good my favorite bitches?"

"Gross," Steve comments.

I chuckle and walk into the store. "Nah, man. What's gross is that hat."

"See! I told you, it's the hat!" Steve tells Robin.

"He's up to five," Robin informs.

"Only five? Damn.. I thought he'd make it to double digits while I was out of town."

"Five today," she corrects.

I jump onto the counter and get in Steve's face. "Ha!"

"And suddenly, my 3-month-long freedom has come to an end," Steve groans.

"Aw," I wrap my arms around Steve's neck from behind. "My brother loves me."

"Dude, not at work," he complains.

"He loves me!" I exclaim, slapping a loud kiss on his cheek.

"Just cause we live together and we act like brother and sister doesn't mean we have to tell the world. You're ruining my shots with other girls."

"Your nonexistent shots?" I tease.

"How was summer camp?" Robin asks.

I release Steve and kick him in the butt. "All right. I survived. Dustin made it bearable once he popped in."

"And yet you left before he was out," Steve jokes.

"I got what I went for," I defend.

"Did you get the credits?" Robin wonders.

"I shuffle through my purse and take out a rolled-up paper. "I have now acquired enough credits to enroll in eleventh grade!"

"Wow, you're practically a genius," Steve snorts. "And don't roll it like that. You'll screw it up and have to do the summer camp counselor thing again."

"I could've stayed longer to try and get enough credits to get higher, but I missed this shitty little place."

"So, you'll only be a grade above Dustin?" Robin asks.

Steve gets into my face. "Ha!"

"Hey, at least I'm doing something with my life, man," I urge. "Beats working at an ice cream shop."

"Low blow, man," Steve frowns.

"Seriously," Robin adds.

I snicker and cross my arms. "How's life sucked without me and Dustin? I'm sure you were all drowning in boredom without your favorite two people."

"Bleh," Robin makes a face. "When is that little shit coming back, anyway?"

"Dustin still has about two weeks. I dipped on him halfway through his month, but.. I think its gonna be good for him."

"How's that?"

"When I was there, he wouldn't like.. go make friends. He just wanted to hang out with me. I'm hoping that if I'm not there, then he'll actually talk to the other kids there."

"That's sweet," Robin pouts.

"Well, you haven't missed much. Mike and El keep sneaking into places to make out. It feels illegal," Steve scrunched his nose in disgust.

"They're like five. That's not right," I try to figure out.

"Lucas and Max are still like an old married couple."

"Always the same," I note.

"Oh, and.." Steve holds a finger up. "The shop you used to work at with Joyce?"

"Yeah," I remember.

"It's getting shut down."

"No!" I gasp.

"Mhm," Steve puckers his lips. "Like five stores on Main have already been closed."

"What? Why?"

Steve motions around like he was pointing at the building.

"Because ice cream?" I tease.

"Dude," Steve scoffs.

"Just because the mall is in, why do the small businesses have to go down?" I ask with a frown.

"It's just the new 'it' thing," Steve shrugs.

"I should stop by the shop before I go home. See how Joyce is doing."

"You sure you don't want to stop by the pool first?" Robin grins.

"Huh?"

"Robin!" Steve hisses.

"What? What's up with the pool?" 

Steve gives Robin a dirty look before glancing up at me. He mutters something under his breath I couldn't hear.

"What?" I push, hopping off the counter and chasing him to the register. "Are they shutting it down, too?"

"No.."

"Then, what's wrong with the pool?"

Steve knew how much I loved the community pool. It was my favorite place to hang out.

It's where Steve's parents asked if I wanted to live with them full-time.

It's where Steve and I taught Dustin to swim.

Plus.. my first encounter with the pool was especially special.

Steve sighs and leans his arm on the counter. 

"What's wrong with the pool?" I plead.

"Nothing. Robin is just being a smartass," he brushes it off.

I look back to Robin. She smiles and nods, agreeing with Steve.

I breathe out in relief. 

"You just always go there, you know?" Robin sheepishly notes.

"Yeah," I put a hand to my chest. "God, you two scared the shit out of me. I thought it was getting torn down or was sold off to some rich bitch that wouldn't let anyone in."

Steve looks back at Robin and I shake my head to get rid of the worry.

"I've gotta run by the house and unpack. Is there anything you need while I'm at home?" I ask Steve as I hop back over the counter.

"No, I'm good. I have a late shift tonight so tell mom and dad that I'll be busy until about six."

"Noted," I hold a thumbs up and walk to the door. "Love you!"

I slide to a stop and peer back through the door.

"Steve," I warn with a glare.

He holds his hands up in surrender. "Love you, too. God!"

I giggle and point to Robin. "I'll call you later."

"Later, Bird," she waves.