13

We set out on the new plan. If this 'Mind Flayer' thing was still in Will and he was a halfway spy against his will, then we would just have to make it unclear on where he was.

We threw everything out of the shed and covered it so Will wouldn't recognize the building. Then, Hopper, Jonathan, Joyce, and Mike stayed in with him and questioned him.

I peek around the hall to Max. She was sitting on the floor with Lucas. Steve was practicing with his bat. Dustin was staring blankly at the table. Nancy was leaning against the wall. 

I take the chance and head to the landline. I dial the Hargrove house.

"Maxine?" a man asks.

I gulp in fear. It was Neil.

"Hi.. Um, is Billy there?" I ask, trying to make my voice sound different.

Neil scoffs. My heart felt like it was going to burst out of my throat as pure anxiety washes over me.

"Is this his whore for the night?" Neil questions.

"I'm sorry?"

"Forget it. Billy can't go on your little date tonight. He's busy."

"Oh, well.. Could I tal-" My words fall short as Neil hangs up.

I try not to let my emotions show. But, my hands tremble and I slam the phone back onto the port.

I take a walk outside through the front door. My hands were shaking so badly I could barely open the door. I sit on the porch step and put my head between my knees. I take a few deep breaths to try and calm myself.

I hated how scared I was of Neil. But, I didn't have any other choice. It's always been this way.

I find myself crying out of frustration. Then, I slap myself a little. Neil wasn't worth my tears. I had to be strong.

Billy and I were out of this place by next year. Until then, I was going to do everything I could to help Joyce, Hopper, and the kids.

I pull Billy's shirt up and wipe my tears away. I clear my throat and straighten my back.

I was fine. I just had to endure and fight a little longer. Billy and I were getting out of this.

My heart aches.

Billy was busy? How much had Neil already beaten him?

I start to cry again.

"Goddammit," I hiss to myself.

Why was this hurting so much more than usual?

I'd heard Neil's voice plenty since secretly living in his house.

Was it what he said?

What did he say..? I retrace Neil's words.

'His whore for the night'? 'Date'?

"Hey," someone calls- Nancy.

I keep my face straight as Nancy walks closer.

"Are you okay?" Nancy asks.

"I'm fine," I say, forcing myself to sound strong. "Just needed some fresh air."

Against my wishes, Nancy sits beside me. I rub my face into my shoulder to rid the tears and look away from her.

"I heard your phone call," she reveals. "I wasn't like.. trying to snoop."

Of course. I sigh and look up at the stars.

"I don't know Billy. I just know Max and now.. you. But, I know that people shouldn't be talked to like that. I'm sorry he's disapproving of your relationship."