20

"Check out the view. I like to come out here at night to watch the moon. It's pretty peaceful here. I definitely don't miss the noise that was in LA. You can see across the green, all the way over the desert to the mountains from here. It's amazing," he sighed, staring out at the gorgeous sight.

I took a step closer to the railing and placed my hands on it, as I took it all in. The sky was a beautiful blue, slightly darker because the sun was starting to set, with little strips of white cotton decorating it. The golf course was a mix of vibrant green colors, giving me a trail to follow with my eyes. That trail led to the dusty orange expanse of the desert, with the sight of the darkened mountains in the distance.

"I could sit out here all day," Denise whispered, like she was scared of disturbing the calm that had settled over us. "Same," I whispered back. "It's best at sunset. There are so many different colors just mixing together. It's beautiful," Colby replied, softly.

I could the heat from his body, as he stepped up behind me, but I didn't move. This place was special. This place could trick a girl into forgetting her own rules about friendships. I almost leaned back into him, but Denise spoke up...again.

"What about that movie theater?" she asked. "And the pool. Gotta see that. Hell, we don't have much time before we need to start getting ready for the mixer. Our bags are in the car though, so we'll have to go get them pretty soon."

Damn her.

I heard Colby sigh, as he stepped away from me. My body wanted to move closer to him, but my head knew better. Stop it, Callie! How was I supposed to be alone, around him, when I couldn't seem to stop myself from reacting like a horny teenager??

"Yeah, I should show you guys that, definitely. Probably the best things about this house. Well, that and what's on the roof. Theater room first. Follow me," Colby said, holding his hand up, when I opened my mouth to ask what was on the roof. He started back inside the house and we followed him around a corner and down another hallway, until we stood in front of a set of smooth, dark brown wooden, double doors.

I felt my phone buzz in my back pocket, just as he swung them open. I saw several recliners, going up and back, just like in a theater, before I yanked my phone out of my pocket and looked at it. 

Mom was calling.

"Shit, I forgot to check in," I muttered to myself, as I noted the time. I had told her that I was going to call her an hour ago. 

"Hey Momma," I said, answering the call. "Hey baby," she replied. "I just wanted to check in and make sure everything was okay." "Yes ma'am," I sighed. "I'm sorry that I didn't call. I lost track of time. Is everything okay there?"

"Everything is fine. It's okay that you didn't call. I want you to have fun, while you're there, not worry about me. Your Aunt and I are having a good ol' time. Ben is good, too. He's at work right now. Said he would call you when he got home tonight," she replied. 

I smiled, picturing my aunt and my mom piled up in bed together, watching some old TV show and laughing together. It warmed my heart. "Tell him I'll be waiting," I said, quietly, feeling a pang in my chest at how much I already missed the kid. It really was gonna kill me when he left for college. 

"And make sure you take your medicine like you're supposed too. I'll still call you every morning and night to remind you," I instructed her. "No, you don't have to do that, honey. I already got your aunt to put an alarm on her phone for it. We can handle it," she replied. 

I started chewing my fake nail, unconsciously, worried that she wouldn't take her meds the way she was supposed to, if I didn't tell her too. "I don't know, Momma. I would feel better if I made sure that you were taking them," I insisted.