48

It didn't feel real. My life no longer felt real. Here I was, in Las Vegas, curled into Colby's side, while we watched Scary Movie on his flatscreen. I wasn't supposed to be here! My life was far away, in a hole in the wall town, in a rundown house, with me taking care of Ben and my mom. My life was consumed with avoiding my ex and not stirring the waters, just so I could have a little bit of peace. 

Not lazing away, after really good sex, in this expensive ass house, with this beautiful man. We had moved down to the living room, the one they used when it was just them, because Colby had gotten hungry. He ordered some food for both of us from PostMates, so we went downstairs to wait for it to arrive. 

I was so hungry after swimming and the other cardio activity, that I didn't even care how much I ate, or if Colby saw me. I devoured my cheeseburger and fries, then dug into my caramel brownie sundae. It tasted amazing, even though it was just basic fast food. After Colby and I had finally gotten through all the red tape and took our relationship to the next level, everything seemed so much clearer. The world was brighter and the food tasted better. 

Amazing what great sex could do, haha.

Now, we were just cuddling on the couch, watching a stupid comedy that always made me laugh. Yes, Scary movie was dumb and ridiculous, with it's jokes, but it was also so stupid that it was funny. It made me feel young again. It made me feel like I could be carefree and laugh at the stupid, funny things, without always worrying about everything else. 

When I felt Colby's laugh rumble through his chest, I smiled and looked up at him. He was just so handsome. His dark hair and eyebrows were a stark contrast to his icy blue eyes, making them stand out more. The little mole on his jaw only added to his perfection. 

He still wasn't wearing a shirt, so I could still admire every single tattoo that I could see. My favorite was probably the rose tattoo on his side. There was just something so fragile, but incredibly strong about it. I knew he probably got it, just because it looked cool, but it really made me think of him. 

He didn't let people in very often. He didn't let people get too close. He kept this thorny outer shell to keep them at bay, but if you managed to get past it, he was one of the most sensitive, sweetest guys that I knew. He wore his heart on his sleeve, if you were lucky enough to be one of the people that he loved. And, as much as he says that he doesn't care what people think of him, he really does. A little too much, sometimes, but I wasn't in any position to judge. 

"Whatcha thinking about, Pretty Girl?" he asked. My eyes shot away from his side, where my I had been absentmindedly tracing the rose tattoo with my finger. I smiled, softly. "Just how lucky I am to be here. He smiled, just one side of his perfect lips turning up, before he leaned down to press them against my own. 

"Lucky? I'm the lucky one, Babe. I get to FINALLY call you my girlfriend again, and I won't let you get away this time. You're stuck with me," he said, pulling back. "Is that right?" I giggled. "Yep," he replied, pulling me tighter against his side. "Never letting you go, Pretty Girl." He slapped my bare thigh, making me let out a shriek of laughter. I poked him in the ribs, as payback, laughing when he pouted and rubbed the sore spot. 

"Hey guys," Sam said, morosely, as he walked into the room. "Hey man," Colby replied, immediately. He moved my leg off of him and stood to envelope his best friend in a hug. I wondered what was going on, because something felt wrong. "You doing okay?" he asked, pulling away from Sam. "Yeah, I guess. No. I don't know. I know I did the right thing, but it feels wrong. Katrina and I have been together for so long." 

"You broke up with Katrina?" I blurted out, not thinking. I slapped my hand over my mouth and closed my eyes. "Shit, Sam, I'm sorry. It just surprised me," I apologized, when I opened my eyes. "It's okay," he replied, his sad eyes holding mine. "I love her. I probably always will. I know she loves me, but I didn't want her to keep changing her life, putting her dreams on hold, for mine. It wasn't right. She even moved to a different state for me, when her dream of being a singer is based in LA."