Chapter 1

Peyton POV

I finish getting ready for school. This will be our first day back since we won state.

As I walk out to the kitchen, I see my dad. If he is here before I leave for school it usually means he has to work late.

"Well look who it is." My dad is grinning at me as he drinks his coffee. "Now Peyton, what have I told you about kissing girls?"

I tilt my head at him, confused as to why he asked that. "You have literally told me nothing." I grab a water from the refrigerator and sit at the kitchen island.

"Oh well, maybe you should try not to do so in front of cameras." My dad starts to laugh.

It is too early for this.

"Dad, what are you talking about?"

He hands me his phone and shows me an article that is open on it.

"I hope Caitlin is out." He comments.   "It blows my mind a news article would post a picture of sorts without consent."

The picture is of Caitlin and I kissing on the field after the game. I smile looking at the photo. I have not seen it yet. I need to make sure I find this article so I can save the picture.

"I think Caitlin will be okay." I stand up.

I walk over to where my school bag is sitting. I pick it up and throw it over my back.

"Dad, don't forget to call the doctor today. I need to get my knee looked at."

He walks over to me as I am about to leave. "I will once they are open. How does it feel?"

"I can't tell." I say truthfully. "I don't want to risk anything being wrong and not doing anything to help correct it when I am in the off season. If that means I don't play club ball, then so be it."

My dad nods. "Ok kiddo." He gives me a kiss on the head. "I have something important I need to talk to you about soon."

"What is it?"

He shakes his head. "Not right now, you need to go to school." He opens the door. "It looks like the Chancellor's are here. I don't want you to keep them waiting."

"You can't tell me you need to talk to me then not tell me! Last time you did this we moved." My heart stops beating. "Oh my god, we are moving again. Dad you can't..."

"Peyton!" My dad cuts me off. "We are not moving. We will talk about it later, most likely not today. I have to work late tonight. We will talk soon. Now go. It's rude to keep people waiting."

I sigh as I walk out the door. Before the door shuts, I turn to him. "You know, if you got me my own vehicle, no one would be waiting on me."

Not that I mind riding with Caitlin's mom and her, but now I'd rather it be Caitlin and I only.

"We can discuss that later as well." I hear him yell out as I approach the Chancellor's SUV.

I get in the back seat and greet everyone. "Good morning."

I notice this morning it was only Jordyn and Caitlin in the car.

"Good morning Peyton." Jordyn gives me a smile in the rearview mirror. "Are you ready to be back to school?"

"No, not really with soccer being over." I glance down at my phone that buzzes. I finish what I was saying before reading my text. "After soccer season, the days usually feel longer, especially with winter coming up."

I glance at my phone reading the text.

Caitlin: I really want to kiss you right now.

I start to type a reply when Jordyn's voice startles me. "Are you two texting each other?"