Chapter 17

Paige POV

Jordyn and I were out on the back patio enjoying a beautiful Saturday night after a stressful day.

My wife currently has her head resting on my lap while reading a book. I run my fingers through her hair as I close my eyes enjoying the breeze.

The peace and quiet was broken when the sliding door started opening. I turn my head seeing Callie coming.

"Hey." She says causing Jordyn to put her book down. "I thought I would come by to check in on Caitlin. I tried texting her, but she wasn't responding and neither did you two."

Callie takes a seat and Jordyn sits up.

"I'll go check on her." I tell them as I stand up. "I'll be right back."

I checked in her room and found it was empty. The whole upstairs is empty.

She would not have left without telling me. She is smarter than that. I go back downstairs checking the main level of the house. No luck either.

I go to the basement door. I walk on the first step and stop. My eyes get wide, and my ears perk up. I hear what sounds like kissing and heavy breathing.

Before walking further down, I send a group text.

Paige: Is Peyton here?
Jordyn: Not that I know of
Callie: No. I was just with Max. He said she is with Halie.

I put my phone in my pocket. "Caitlin?" I called out.

Seconds later I hear a thud on the floor. I slowly walk down the stairs.

I approach the entertainment room. On one end of the couch, McKenna is sitting with her sweatshirt hood up. Caitlin is on the other end with a blanket covering herself.

"Caitlin." I look at my daughter. "What were you two doing?"

She looks at me looking extremely guilty of something. "We are watching a movie."

I look at the television. "There is nothing playing."

"Oh, well it's over." She starts laughing.

What has gotten into her? I turn my attention to McKenna. "How about you tell me? You are always honest."

"What do you think we were doing?" She decides to question me back.

I look at both girls. "It sounded like my daughter is down here cheating on her girlfriend with her best friend and her brother's ex-girlfriend. Please tell me I'm wrong."

"I'm not cheating." Caitlin fires back. "Peyton is aware of it. She is probably doing the same thing with Halie right now."

What the hell? Show no reaction, I tell myself.

"Caitlin, can I talk to you upstairs?"

She huffs as she pushes herself off the couch dropping the blanket.

"Should I leave?" McKenna directs her question towards me.

I see Caitlin telling me with her head to say no. "She will be back in a few."

I follow my daughter up the stairs. I point for her to go to the living room.

After she takes a seat, I sit beside her. "Please explain to me what is going on."

"If McKenna hits an over the fence home run there is this deal between all of us that she and I can make out and then Halie and Peyton can."

What in the world? "Why did this become a thing?"

"It was a joke, I thought at first. Then she hit one and I said I wouldn't do it without Peyton kissing someone too." She explains. "After the first one we decided to keep it going. Why does it matter?"