Chapter 3

Peyton POV

I look at the time as I can tell it's getting late.

"Babe." I give Caitlin a frown. "My dad and I are leaving at five in the morning to head to my grandparents. I should get home."

I kiss her lips before I roll off the bed. Caitlin sits up swinging her legs off but stays sitting.

"How far of a drive is to Vancouver?" Caitlin tugs my hand pulling me between her legs.

"It's about four and half to five hours. It depends on the weather and traffic."

"Sick." Caitlin's hands move up to my shirt. "Are you having Thanksgiving with your grandparents, or will you have other family there?"

I take a deep breath, hoping Caitlin doesn't overreact. "My grandparents on my dad's side and Halie's family."

Caitlin looks understandably confused. "Why will they be there?"

"This is a tradition my dad started the year my sister died." I explained how it came about. "Our families have always been close. It was hard on Halie's parents as well when Brooklyn died. It was my dad's idea. I thought it was a one time thing, but we are going on year three."

Caitlin lets go of my shirt. She leans back, putting distance between us. "Does your dad wish Halie and you were still dating?"

"No, I don't believe so."

Caitlin looks around her room. I can tell she is pondering her next set of questions. "Is it weird being around Halie during thanksgiving? You said before you saw her recently that you two didn't talk since you broke up much."

"We didn't need to talk to hook up." I quickly cover my mouth realizing I said too much.

Caitlin is looking at me mortified. "Hooked up as in..." Caitlin looks away from me. "Sex?"

I knew eventually Caitlin would ask me about my sex life. Telling her like this was never the plan, especially when I am about to go see the person. "Yes."

Caitlin is still quiet as she avoids looking at me.

I sigh, feeling frustrated. "I will leave now."

This is a great way to start Thanksgiving break.

I walk out, but Caitlin grabs my hand. "I'm not mad if that is what you think. I don't have the right to be mad. I am processing the information."

Caitlin pulls me down onto her lap. "Can I ask you a question about Halie without you getting mad."

"I'll try." I wrap my arms around Caitlin's neck to help me stay balanced.

"How can you hook up with someone you don't talk to?" Caitlin looks at me with curiosity.

"We have history together." I don't know how to explain this to her. "I guess we both wanted it to happen the first time. We read the cues and went for it. There used to be a lot of tension between us. Maybe it was sexual tension. We acted on it. We dated for two years."

Caitlin looks uncomfortable. Uncomfortable is how I feel.

"How many times did you act on it? When was the last time?"

I let go one hand from her neck and run it through my hair. My heart feels like it's beating out of my chest. "Last time was after my mom's funeral. Total times, five or six. I am not a hundred percent sure."

"So, you were basically in a silent relationship with her the whole time!" Caitlin pushes me off her.

I catch my balance before I hit the ground.