Chapter 25

Caitlin POV

"Strike three!" The umpire yells out ending the game.

"Hell yeah!" McKenna calls out as I run towards her giving her a quick hug then we both go toward the dugout tossing our gloves. "Another game down, another couple days here."

I hate that is how she has to think. At least we got the win and she is right. We play again Wednesday.

We get in line and notice the other team is in the dugout gathering their stuff. After a couple of minutes, we see they are headed to their bus.

"Wow, great sportsmanship." Coach Lauren commented. "Everyone go to the outfield."

Suddenly there was weight on my back, as McKenna jumped on me. "Hey, thanks for the ride."

"You know." I laugh as I start walking. "This reminds me of Peyton."

My remark makes her start trying to get off me, but I wrap my arms around her legs and hold on tight. "Don't be dramatic."

"It's not being dramatic. I love Peyton, but I don't want to hear that. That is a bit weird, don't you think?" She wraps her arms around my neck and rests her chin on my shoulder as I continue to carry her.

"I don't think so. Plus, she never did that. I like the closeness you are doing right now." I turned my head as much as I could. "It feels more intimate."

She slides off my back as I come to a stop. "I am not sure a piggy back ride can be that intimate. Other things can be, though." She winked. "Tomorrow night, I can show you on the dance floor."

"Can you two shut up." Bailey, a sophomore who doesn't get any playing time, snapped at us. "Coach is waiting on you two to stop talking so she can talk. I want to go home."

My eyes go to McKenna who I know is going to say something. "Well maybe not all of us want to go home. Maybe I don't feel like shutting up. What are you going to do about it?"

"Bailey and McKenna, you can run a pole after we are done." Coach Lauren steps in.

"No." Callie takes charge. "The head coach from Gonzaga is here to talk with McKenna once I am done. Caitlin, Washington is here to talk to you."

I look at McKenna who is smirking at Bailey. My eyes then go to Coach Lauren who is rolling her eyes. She is clearly not pleased with Callie not punishing McKenna.

Callie goes through her post game speech. To a lot of our team's dismay, she is not giving us tomorrow off. We have hitting practice tomorrow morning. We still have plenty of time to get ready for prom. At least we didn't have a game that was two hours away.

After the huddle breaks, McKenna and I walk side-by-side as we nervously go towards the infield. "I liked it better when we were talking to the same person." I say quietly.

"Same!" She bumped my shoulder. "But hey, look at you! Washington, that is big! They made it to the World Series this year."

I wonder what my parents' thoughts are on Washington since they went to Washington State. I am sure they are rival schools.

"If you decide to go to Gonzaga, Halie goes there. You will be going there with her." I pointed out.

She stopped as we were about to go our separate directions. "I bet she will transfer to wherever Peyton goes to college. Plus, there is no way I want to stay here. I will entertain this coach, but this is not my choice at all."

McKenna smacked my back as she walked away. As I went to turn, I was greeted by a female.

"Great game out there tonight, Caitlin. I am Heather Tarr, I am the coach at Washington University." She greeted me with her hand extended.