Chapter 13

McKenna POV

My arms were draped around another body. My forehead was pressed against hair that smelled like green tea. My eyes are still closed tightly, I run my hand down her arm. A smile forms on my lips.

Wait.

Halie's hair smells like lavender.

Caitlin stayed here last night, not Halie.

-Knock-

My eyes shoot open and go to my bedroom door where there is knocking coming from. I carefully remove my arm off Caitlin. I slide off my mattress and tiptoe to my door.

I unlock my door then slip out of my room not letting my Dad who was knocking in.

"What do you need?"

His eyes go to my door. "Who is in your room?"

"Caitlin."

"Why is there a girl rotating every night here, McKenna?" He questions me.

I rub at my eyes still trying to wake up fully. "Is that why you are waking me up?"

"No, I wanted to let you know we aren't able to be at your game today. I made you breakfast to apologize, so wake Caitlin up." He instructs me.

My mom and him make no sense. They will travel all over to watch my games during the week, but God forbid they give up a little time on a Saturday. The game is home too. It wouldn't take that much time of their day.

I walk back into my room. Caitlin still looks to be sleeping. I don't want to wake her up. She looks so peaceful.

I debate in my head how to wake her up. I know she had an emotional tolling night.

I take a seat gently by her. She doesn't budge at all. My eyes scan her face. I bring my hand up and softly tuck the hair that was hiding her eyes from me.

"Caitlin." I say softly as I rub at her cheek. "My dad made breakfast."

Her eyeballs start moving under her eyelids.

"Don't make me tickle you." This sparks her eyes to open. "Good morning."

She gives me a pout. "Is it?"

I get up from the bed. "It will be! We have our game then we will be together the rest of the day. Katie invited us all to hangout. You are going, so don't say you aren't."

Caitlin sits up then scoots out of my bed. "Sounds like a great day."

She puts her arms out to stretch, but I use it as an invitation to wrap my arms around her.

"It's going to be fine Caitlin." I whisper. "It's okay to be sad, but don't let it ruin the time you get with Peyton."

She squeezes my back then pulls back. "I know. I needed a night to sulk. Thank you for being here. Be prepared for there to be more to this."

"What do you mean?" I squint my eyes as if that would make me see clearer. "What did you leave out?"

Caitlin opens her mouth but is cut off by her phone vibrating. Her eyes go to her phone screen then back to me.

"I have to go home. I never told my parents where I was. I will see you at the game."

How can she make that comment and not tell me what she is talking about? There are so many scenarios that come to my mind as I start thinking.

The thoughts stop when I feel soft lips against my cheek. My body freezes as Caitlin says. "I really appreciate you being there for me."

"Oh, yeah." I snap out of my frozen state. "You are my number one."