Chapter 15

FLASHBACK 5 Years

Peyton POV

The morning was starting off as a regular school day. Brooklynn and I walked down to the bus stop together. Halie, her best friend, was already waiting.

"Hey PJ." She gives me a wave before her and my sister start whispering about something together.

"You know." I jump to the voice in my ear. "If I didn't know any better, I would think you have a crush on your sister's friend."

I turn to my friend Morgan, glaring at her at how loud she said that. I glance at Halie who makes eye contact with me smiling. There is no way she didn't hear that.

"Why would you say that?" I whisper and shout at her. "I don't!"

Morgan's eyes scan all over my face. "It was a joke. Now I'm thinking it wasn't. Your face is so red!"

"I'm going to kill you." I threaten her life in a joking manner as the bus pulls up. "I don't like girls."

She pushes me towards the bus. After we take our seat toward the middle front, Morgan makes an assessment. "You don't seem to like guys either. She is the only person I catch you blushing over."

I lean in the middle row of the bus and look towards the back of the bus. My heart stops when I see green eyes catch me looking. She stops mid conversation to smile and give me another wave.

I turn back, staring at the seat in front of me.

"I heard Halie is into girls." Morgan says quietly.

This is information I was already aware of. I overheard one night when Halie came out to Brooklyn. I felt bad since it was a personal conversation that I wasn't supposed to hear.

Halie was super emotional while she was telling Brooklyn. Brooklyn was supportive and understanding. It was a sweet moment between them that I was able to hear from the top of the steps while they were in the living room of our house.

"Are you going to get off the bus or stay dreaming about god knows what?" Morgan gives me a shove pushing me out of my seat causing me to fall on my side in the aisle.

I wasn't expecting to be thrown from my seat so I had no chance to brace myself as Morgan didn't hold back at all on her shove. My head hits something causing instant pain by my left eye.

I put my hand to my eye as I used the other one to get to my feet ignoring Morgan's attempt to help me. I walk off the bus with my head hung down.

"Peyton." My sister calls out. "Stop." She grabs my forearm, spinning me to her. "Are you okay?"

My sister isn't the only one standing there. Halie is right there as well looking at me. It was her who grabbed my hand covering my eye that I hit. Her hand was soft as she gently grabbed my wrist as she pulled mine down.

My whole body tenses up at how close she is to me.

"What did you hit your face on?" Brooklyn questions. "You got a good scratch right by the corner of your eye."

I lift my shoulders up and let them drop. My eyes go to my wrist that Halie still hasn't let go of. "I uh." I try to refocus on my sister. "I'm not sure. I need to get to my locker."

Halie's grip loosens as I start to walk away. As her hand dropped from my wrist, I felt her fingers slide down my hand to my fingers.

Did I imagine that or did that happen? My stomach feels like it dropped to the ground at the simple touch.

I hurry into the school trying to shake the thought from my head.

During lunch, I was going through the à la carte line to get an extra drink.