Chapter 24

Callie POV

"Please come get me."

My heart starts beating fast as the line goes dead.

"What is wrong?" Jordyn looks at me concerned "Who was on the phone?"

"It was McKenna. She wants me to come get her." I stand up. "I have to go."

I went to walk away. "I will drive you." My head turns to a voice coming from the sliding doors. "You are not in the right mindset to drive. Plus, Jordyn and you have drank too much to be driving." Paige points out.

"Thank you." I tell her sincerely knowing I should not be driving especially if McKenna is going to be getting in a vehicle with me. "Jordyn are you coming with?"

She looks at Paige then at me. "No, I think I should go check on Caitlin." Paige nods in agreement.

"She needs you." Paige agrees. "She is pretty sad. I got her to calm down, but I don't think she wants to be alone."

I am about to turn into an emotional drunk. My heart hurts so bad for my two favorite girls. I couldn't imagine what I would have done if Jordyn's mom would have tried to move her out of state. It was bad enough I knew her mom didn't like me. Then you have to add that Caitlin and McKenna have romantic feelings for each other.

As I get in the front seat of Paige's vehicle, I send McKenna a text.

Callie: Paige is driving me to your house. Is everything okay? Do I need to come inside? What is going on?

I feel a hand on my arm. "It's going to be okay." Paige rubs gently. "My mom tried getting me to move with her after my dad died. I know the situation is different, but I can kind of put myself in McKenna shoes. I didn't have someone like you. I was alone parental wise. She is lucky."

My eyes scan Paige as she is driving. I forget how much Paige went through with her parents in high school. It blows my mind what a great person she turned out to be.

"She has more than just me." I corrected her. "She has Jordyn and you as well. I don't want to take her from her parents, but I don't agree with what is happening. I am going to figure out how to talk to them."

"I don't agree with it either. It would be different if she was a sophomore and they were moving, but not her last year of high school. I would take a couple of days before talking to them." Paige advises. "You only have one shot at the conversation with them, so you need to make sure you have your thoughts in line. You definitely don't want to be tipsy or drunk."

I nod in agreement as my eyes go down to my phone that buzzes.

McKenna: Do not come inside. I told them I am staying at your house.

I was about to text her that we are here, but she was sitting on her front porch with her stuff. As she walks to the vehicle, I see her mom is looking through the window. This at least tells me she knows that McKenna will be with me. I hop out of the vehicle, so she sees me. This way she knows I am in the vehicle since it's Paige's vehicle here, not mine.

"Are you okay?"

McKenna wraps her arms around me, dropping her bags to the ground. "No."

I hold on to the girl trying to comfort her. "I got you. You are safe with me."

Jordyn POV

I woke up in Caitlin's room with her wrapped up in my arms. She was still knocked out. I kissed the top of her head. "Good morning." I whisper. "Do you want to shower before school and I can braid your hair for your game?"

"I don't want to go to school or the game." She groans.

I got out of her bed. "Sweetie, you are going to school. You are definitely going to the game. You said that if you guys lose, McKenna has to move sooner. Why would you not go and play?"