Chapter 4

McKenna POV

I lay in my bed, with my Airpods in my ears, as I listened to the lyrics playing.

-Guess she won, thought I'd be fine if my heart's not in it Just this once, can I have fun for one goddamn minute Without thinking of her, thinking of her -

"Text message from Halie." My Siri speaks through my headphones. "Open your window."

I promptly sat up reaching for my phone that was resting beside me. I tap on Halie's name and read the text again.

Halie: Open your window

I look towards my window. There is no way she is here. I scoot off my bed and walk over to my closed window. I unlock it, then lift.

"God, did it take you long enough?" Halie gripes as she climbs in.

I put my hand out for her to grab to help her stand straight up. "What are you doing here?"

Halie takes a step closer to me as she says "You have ignored me since Thursday night."

I take a step back to create space between us. "You shouldn't have come here."

"If you don't want me here, tell me to leave." Halie takes a step in again, but this time she takes a hold of my shirt. "I'll go if that is what you want."

My left Airpod is still in my ear. I feel like it's taunting me as the end of the song is playing.

-And the worst of all is I missed your call And I'm all alone feeling vulnerable (can't stop thinking of her)-

I pull my Airpod out. I throw it towards my dresser praying I don't lose it.

"How long have you been back?"

Halie lets go of my shirt as she yawns. "I just got back. I came straight to your house after I dropped Peyton off."

Halie puts her hands back on me, but I push them off. "Peyton and you rode back together? Why are you here then Halie?"

Halie looks annoyed now. "Why does it matter if Peyton drove home with me? Her dad left a day earlier than planned, so she asked since she had plans to see her friends." Halie uses a sharpening tone I'm not used to. "Seriously, what is your problem?"

I go over to my bed and take a seat. I put my head in my hands as I stare at the floor to avoid looking at Halie.

"I slept with Logan." I have had this pit in my stomach since it happened.

I feel the bed by me sink in a little "Why are you telling me this?" I turn my head to the side to be met by green eyes staring at me. "He is your boyfriend, even if he wasn't, you don't owe me anything."

I look back at the floor. "You never answered why you are here."

Out of nowhere, arms wrap around me as Halie pulls me into her body. She pulls us down on my bed.

"I missed you." Halie's lips are right by my ear. "It was annoying how you acted this weekend." Her breath hitting my ear causes chills throughout my body.

I lift my hands up as I talk. "Caitlin mentioned Peyton wants to be close with you again."

Halie turns my head to face her. "Why does that matter?"

"I told you I wanted a friend that wasn't part of my friend circle." I sigh feeling aggravated about it. "You are in college with a busy schedule, not to mention your college friends as well. If you have extra time, you will choose Peyton over me."

Halie is now wearing an ear-to-ear grin. "McKenna, I came straight to see you even though we haven't talked for a couple of days. I'll always have time for you. If Peyton and I hangout, it means I get to see you more."