Chapter 9

Peyton POV

I press the phone button by her name. I place the speaker by my ear as I pace around my room nervously.

"Hi Peyton." I hear in my ear. "Is everything okay?"

"Everything is fine." I take a deep breath. "Are you busy? I know this is out of the blue, but can you possibly meet me at the diner close to our houses, by yourself?"

"Are you sure you are okay?" I hear in my ear. "I can be there in fifteen minutes. Do you want me to pick you up?"

"I am fine." I assure her. "I'll drive myself. Thank you."

I hung up with her. I grab a sweatshirt, then head out.

I get to the diner first. I sit in the booth towards the back.

"Are you here alone?" My eyes go to Andi who still works here.

I shake my head. "No, I am waiting for someone."

The door dings, taking my attention away from Andi and to the woman walking through the door.

"Isn't that Logan's mom?" Andi sounds confused.

"Yeah." I put my hand up so Paige could see where I was sitting.

She starts walking this way.

"She's hot." Andi whispers. Paige takes a seat on the other side of the booth. "Can I get you two something to drink?"

"Water." I told her.

"I'll take a sweet tea." Paige answers. Andi walks away. Paige looks at me smiling. "I like your hair Peyton. I don't think I have seen you wear it that way before."

I currently have my hair in two French braids. "Thanks. McKenna did it at lunch today."

"You look cute." She compliments me, causing my cheeks to feel hot. "So, why are we here? Did something happen with Caitlin and you?"

I wait as I see Andi bringing out our drinks. Once she walks away, I explain why I called her.

"Valentine's day is almost here. Caitlin loves telling me stories about Jordyn and you that you two have told her. Her favorite one seems to be the one where you serenaded Jordyn with a song by Stephen Speaks."

Paige gets a wide smile. "I had no idea she knew about that. Jordyn must have told her."

I let out a giggle. "Well, she always says she wishes someone would do that for her. I think she is indirectly hinting at me to do it."

"Are you going to?" She gets excited. "Caitlin will love it!"

I nervously play with my straw. "I am scared to do a whole song by myself. Singing is not something I do besides in a car for fun. That is why I called you." I look at her with a hopeful grin. "Will you do it with me? It can be for Jordyn and Caitlin."

"You want to spend your first Valentine's Day with your girlfriend's parents?" Paige looks amused.

"I like you guys." I tell her truthfully. "I wouldn't plan on us staying with you two the whole time though."

"Ah, so you want to use me then lose me." She is giving me a hard time. "Do you have a song in mind?"

"I do!" I say with excitement. I slid my phone to her with the name of the song. "I feel like it's a newer version of the song you sang to Jordyn."

She hands me my phone back. Instead of pulling her hand back, she places it on mine that was on the table. "This is really thoughtful of Peyton. I'm glad Caitlin met you."