Chapter 18

Caitlin POV

There are only a couple of weeks until Peyton leaves. With softball season, the time has been moving quickly. She has also been spending more time training, so we hardly see each other.

It's the start of a school week. I don't have a game until Wednesday. It's not far away and Peyton is done with her rec soccer so I'm going to try to get her to come.

"Hey." I give her a kiss on the cheek when I get in her vehicle. When her eyes meet mine, I notice she looks exhausted. "Are you going to be able to keep your eyes open at school?"

On cue, she yawns as she pulls out of my driveway. "I'll be okay. I'm just tired from running this morning and staying up later than I should've last night."

We stopped talking around nine. I wonder how late she stayed up after and why.

"Will you come to my game Wednesday? It's only thirty minutes away." I stick my lip out when she looks my way. "Please? You can convince Halie to come for McKenna."

Peyton looks my way for a split second. "I'll go. I can ask Halie to go if you want, but you do know they are only friends now, right? Did McKenna not tell you they completely ended their friends with benefits or whatever you want to call it."

"What, when?"

Why did I not know this?

"Two weeks ago." She informs me. "They are still hanging out so that might be why you didn't assume anything changed."

Wasn't it two weeks ago when Halie and Peyton hung out? It's also when McKenna and I went a little too far even though Peyton says we didn't.

"Who is the one who ended it?" I press to know.

She shrugs her shoulders. "I didn't ask. I don't know if it was one of them specifically or if it was mutual."

"Crazy." I stare out the front window. "Halie should still come along with you if you want her to. It will keep you company on the way there and during the game."

She pulls in the parking lot. "I'll ask her."

"Great!"

I get my stuff from Peyton's trunk. As the door was shutting, my attention went down the parking lot.

A couple of my teammates are standing together laughing along with McKenna who is extremely close to a particular one.

Since when did they talk outside of practices and games?

"Are you coming?" Peyton taps my arm lightly. "What are you staring at?"

I move my eyes away from the group. "Nothing, I was spacing out."

I take her hand in mine as we head into the school.

"Peyton!" Katie comes running up to us the second we get into the school. "I need to talk to you."

Katie gives me a look asking me if it's okay if she steals her. "I have to run to the locker room, so I'll catch you in the halls." I say to Peyton before walking off.

I make my way to the locker room. I stop at the end of the hall when I see the group of girls from outside go through the doors.

I take a deep breath before I continue walking. I walk through the door and feel like everyone's eyes go to me then instantly away.

I drop my bag in my locker. The locker room starts emptying out. My eyes go to the door where McKenna is embraced in a hug with Sam.

"I'll see you at practice." The girl smiles at McKenna before walking out.