Chapter 16

Caitlin POV

We have a home double header today. It's against another school that is undefeated.

Callie wanted us at the field earlier than normal to make sure we were all up and energized for a Saturday game.

"Hey." I give Peyton a kiss as she picks me up. "You know you didn't have to give me a ride. I could have had my mom drop me off."

She gives me another kiss before backing out. "Why would I want to miss out on time with you?"

I smile at her comment then decide to tease her some. "You mean like later when you go hang out with Halie?"

"I knew you were mad about that." She gives me a quick frown. "I'm going to tell her I can't. It's fine. It's not like I won't see her all summer."

I link my arm around hers pulling her hand into my lap that she had off the steering wheel. "It's fine Peyton. It's okay to do things with other people. You know you still have a home run from McKenna."

She rolls her eyes. "How do you know we haven't used it up?"

My eyes get wide, but I know they haven't done anything. I decided to ask a random question. "Is Halie a good kisser?"

"Uh, why do you want to know?" Peyton seems to get flustered. "Are you interested in kissing her?"

I take our hands to smack her. "No. I am only curious. I picture in my head McKenna and you now talking shit about me saying I'm a bad kisser and Halie is better."

"Will you punch me if I tell you neither one is a bad kisser?"

"It's fine to say she is a good kisser, Peyton. I didn't ask for you to lie." I tell her truthfully. "Will your dad let you stay at my house when you are done hanging with Halie or are you staying with her?"

She pulls into our school parking lot driving up to the locker room doors. "I'm not staying the night with Halie. I'll ask. I'm sure it's fine. If not, I'll come anyway."

I smile at her. "Thanks. Please be back before the game starts." I kissed her.

"I'll be back in twenty minutes or so." She laughs.

I exit her vehicle and head to the locker room before going to the field. After running the pole and stretching, McKenna and I were warming up our arms, throwing back and forth. I was getting ready to throw the ball back, when it got dark.

Callie POV

I had the girls come to the field early not expecting parents would show up early. Paige is already sitting on the bleachers along with Max. Max came with me, so it makes sense, but I am unsure why Paige showed up so early. I am pretty positive I saw Peyton drop Caitlin off.

I was watching the girls throw back and forth when something catches my eye. The two girls by McKenna and Caitlin appear to be messing around and not focusing. I start to walk towards them, when Amanda throws the ball about a foot from behind Caitlin. The ball smacks her in the back of the head.

The sound of the thud made everyone stop along with Caitlin dropping straight to the ground. I sprint towards her.

"Oh my god." Amannda says frantically. "I didn't mean to hit her. The ball slipped out of my hand."

I see the girl get shoved to the ground and coach Lauren is pulling McKenna back while McKenna is yelling at the girl. "That's because you were screwing around, you dumb bitch."

I try blocking out the altercation to focus on Caitlin who is laying on the ground with her hands covering her head.

"Caitlin sweetie." I say calmly seeing if she responds. "Are you okay?"