Chapter 22

McKenna POV

There are voices in the house I am not used to hearing. I walk to my door putting my ear to it trying to get an understanding of what was being said.

"I believe if we list your house now, we could sell it within a week."

My heart stops.

"Are you moving somewhere in this area?" The same voice asks.

"No." My mom's voice fills my ear. "We are looking into Salt Lake."

Utah? Is she fucking insane? This cannot be happening. I walk away from my door grabbing my phone.

McKenna: Please pick me up now. I need to get out of here.

My stomach starts cramping up. I feel like I'm going to get sick. My phone buzzes but it wasn't Halie responding back.

Caitlin: Do you want to watch that movie again tonight after we are done hanging out with our friends?

My eyes go to my door where knocking is taking place on the other side.

"McKenna." My mom calls out. "Please come out here. We need to talk to you about something."

No. This cannot be happening.

I go to my window. I hop out and run down the sidewalk. I don't stop running until I feel far enough from my house.

McKenna: I will be at the park whenever you are ready. Don't go to my house.

I sent it to Halie quickly as I was catching my breath.

I click back on Caitlin's name.

McKenna: Can I stay at your house tonight? I can sleep in the basement if need be. I don't want to be at home.

Caitlin: Yes and you can sleep in my room. My parents will be okay with it if you are. Are you okay??

McKenna: No. I will see you tonight so everything will be fine for a while.

Caitlin: You have me worried.

McKenna: Don't be worried. I'll be with Halie soon so I won't be alone. Then I'll be with you. Enjoy hanging out with Peyton. Please don't worry about me.

Caitlin: You mean too much to me not to worry - I just want to hold you in my arms

I smile at my phone feeling a tad better reading that.

McKenna: Tonight

Caitlin and I continue texting. I try to make sure she knows I'm okay. I will feel like shit if she lets worrying about me ruin her time with Peyton.

"Hey!" My head pops up to the sound of Halie's voice.

I get off the table and walk towards her. Once to her, I throw my arms around her.

"Are you okay?" She asks softly as she holds on to me.

I pull back from the hug taking a deep breath. "What did you have planned for us?"

"McKenna doesn't do that. Don't push your problems to the side. Talk to me."

I try to force a smile. "I'll tell you at the end, I promise. I really need a distraction right now."

Halie nods. "Okay let's go then." She nods her head to her jeep. "I promise I'll wait until you tell me later, but did something happen with Caitlin after we left?"

I get in the passenger seat and wait for her to get in. "Caitlin and I are fine. I'm going to her house after she is done with Peyton and we are done hanging out."