13) Podium

Charles pitted. 2.3 sec. Still made it into second. Carlos started decreasing the gap. Lando was struggling to keep up which was perfect. Even though we are friends I'm Carlos's best friend which pushes him further in the importance scale.

"Carlos pit next lap" It was go time.

Carlos entered the pit lane. The mechanics were ready and I prayed that something wouldn't fuck it up. I blinked and suddenly Carlos was on the move. Lando was still lugging on behind struggling. Mattia and I looked at each other in complete and utter shock. This is only part 1 of the plan.

I stare at the leaderboard. Is this really happening? I hear the loudest gasp from inside the garage. I turn my head and see the mechanics standing. They all rely on this. My idea. If this doesn't work I just let down the whole team. I start getting anxious. It's fine. I watch the end of the pit lane. He makes it out. The leaderboard draws me in and it doesn't move.

It doesn't move. OH MY GOSH. IT WORKED! IT DIDN'T MOVE! Mattia stood up smiling with the largest grin I've ever seen.

"Part 1 done now part 2" I say with nervousness filling my veins.

"Stella that was great. Now part 2 is underway"

With new tires, Carlos is right behind Charles. Max had just been told to pit. It was time.

Max entered the pit lane. Red Bull was fast but not as fast as us. Our fastest was 2.3 and Red Bulls was 2.5 seconds. I heard two cars zoom past. I look at the leaderboard. They did it. We did it. I did it.

The garage erupted with screams and shouts. The cameras pointed towards the garage. Mattia looks at me.

"WE DID IT" I scream

"STELLA!!!" He says laughing and hugging me.

The cameras pointed towards us.

"It worked!! I finally used all of that knowledge. It's not unnecessary."

I look at the Red Bull garage. They were disappointed. They knew that first place wasn't achievable in 3 laps and so did I.

"Charles you are P1. I repeat P1. Keep this going your doing great"

"Carlos you are P2. Charles P1 ahead. Defend against Max"

"Against Max are you crazy?"

I press the button. "Carlos, do you remember Camilo? It's just that all over again. You can do this. I know you can and we know too."

"Let's do this" he replied

Camilo was this annoying, snobbish and unlikeable boy in Spain. When Carlos was 18 he would still race and Camilo was someone who would race with him. Carlos was first and Camilo was second. Camilo never wants to lose and I get that but it became boring. He was always straightforward and neat with his driving. One thing Carlos could do that Camilo couldn't was defend. After a few laps of defending Carlos won. Let's say it was liberating for everyone.

That day was integrated into his mind. This was a code word we had for mode defend.

"That's the checkered flag, Charles. P1 mate P1" he answers with a scream

"Checkered flag Carlos. That's P2. P2. Charles P1"

"Your kidding right."

"Nope. That's P2" he also answers with cheers.

Yes, I realise that I helped Charles win which means that both of them will need to drive me around the track while answering questions. I really don't want it to happen but it sounds fun and I might never get an opportunity like that again.

"Stella come on, "Mattia says

"Where are we going?"

"To the podium" he says already running to the podium.

I run further behind him and see all the Ferrari mechanics already there. I try and look for a way in but can't.

"Are you trying to get the barrier?" His accent is French sounding. His face reminded me of someone but not sure who.

"Yeah I am"

"Follow me" I walk with him through the crowd and find myself by the barrier.

"Who are you?"

"You'll find out soon enough" he winks and faces the podium.

I see Charles and Carlos making their way towards us. Carlos is in front and makes his way down the line. Everyone pats his helmet or his back. Then he makes his way to me. He hugs me so tight I can't breathe.

"Carlos... oxygen is something I need"

"Sorry. We did it. That strategy was great. I can't believe Mattia changed it last minute. Mattia has a mind that never stops working"

"Yeah, he really does, "I say slightly upset that he doesn't know I came up with it. I'm the one who should be taking the credit. "Go and celebrate. Go" I say shooing him away.

Then Charles made his way.

"Charles congrats on P1"

"Thanks, Stella" He then realises the guy standing next to me. "Ah, frère" they start having their own conversation in I'm guessing French. I'm not a master but it sounds like it. I can't understand so I guess he's still mysterious.

—————————————————-

"In 3rd we have Max Verstappen." The Red Bull team scream at his name

"In 2nd we have Carlos Sainz" Ferrari and I start screaming and we don't stop until they announce "And in 1st we have Charles Leclerc"

They both seem so happy. When Carlos gets his trophy I see him searching for someone in the crowd. He makes eye contact with me and points. He's dedicating that trophy to me. I smile and pat my hand over my heart. When Charles gets his trophy he winks at me. What is going on? Did Matti tell them?

————————————————————————
939 words

Be happy! I just double-updated.

Enjoy

-Author N