𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟎𝟓: 𝐏𝐥𝐚𝐢𝐧 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐁𝐥𝐚𝐧𝐝

All hopes of keeping a low profile were gone, and so were the whispers

All hopes of keeping a low profile were gone, and so were the whispers. People were blatantly pointing and speaking aloud, shaming her as the girl who attacked Damon, as if he was the victim. It was ridiculous how much respect Damon had, to make her look like the villain.

The incident with Caleb was completely forgotten now that a better headline had replaced it, placing Alaina in a brighter and more permanent spotlight. The untouchable leader of the V4 getting ice cream smashed on his head was the latest buzz, making history for the greatest injustice done against Damon. Being the culprit behind that crime, put all the attention on Alaina. No one dared to get that close with their acts of defiance, they knew better, because the consequences would be far worse than the crime itself.

Students followed her down the hall as she made her way to her locker, a scene that was similar to earlier that morning. Ellie had knowingly distanced herself from Alaina after lunch, understandably avoiding sharing the spotlight with Alaina. She knew what was coming, everyone did. Alaina was about to find out pretty soon as well, and see what made the V4 so dangerous.

By the time Alaina approached her locker, there was a cluster of students around her. She paid no attention, but it was hard to avoid the pack of students hoarding her. If Caleb had earned himself a target after soiling Damon's uniform, then Alaina had undoubtedly been given the same consequence. All it took was one student spotting the flash of red in her locker, and it was official.

"There it is! The new girl has V4's Red Card!" The crowd cheered with excitement, hurrying to the next class as the teachers came by to scold the group.

A girl in the distance sneered, "This should teach her not to mess with my Damon."

Alaina reached for the poster in her locker, a skull with bones in the shape of an 'X' and 'V4' written under it. "A Red Card? How scary." She ripped the page up and discarded it in the trash. "So childish to post threats in someone's locker." If only getting rid of the target was as simple as that.

A Red Card. In football, it's invoked to signal the immediate dismissal of a player. It held a similar meaning here. The school was the playing field, and the game was obeying the rules and respecting the V4. If that rule was broken, permission was granted by the V4, for the players to remove the rule breaker by any means necessary. Whether the actions taken were to threaten or terrorize someone, any method was accepted—they were recognized as public enemy number one and were to be forced out of the school. Which meant, anyone aiding them in any way was also the enemy.

Word went around fast. By the time Alaina arrived at her next class, it had already begun. The students made sure the desk meant for Alaina was nowhere in sight. The moment she walked in and began looking for a desk, the class was on the verge of giggles.

"Hello? Looks like someone's lost," a ginger taunted, sitting atop her desk with her legs crossed.

Alaina inched towards an open desk, only to have her path crossed. "Oops, sorry, this seat's taken," another girl slipped in between, setting her bag on the chair. "Don't think there are any more seats. Guess you'll just have to leave."