𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟑: 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐑𝐞𝐪𝐮𝐞𝐬𝐭

Monday morning, no one had seen or heard from Chris

Monday morning, no one had seen or heard from Chris. Damon, Cordie, and Brendan sat at their large desks for their private lesson. Cordie was blowing bubbles with her gum and snapping them as she listened to the French tutor go on. Brendan twisted the ebony gem on his earring as he lazily turned the page of his textbook. Damon was the least interested in the lesson, eyeing Chris' empty chair. It was easy to guess the known nap enthusiast could be indulging in some sleep, but not now and not today.

There was a reason for Chris' uplifted mood towards the end of last week. Victoria had decided to stay an extra two days to get a few final things in order. She also felt unsatisfied with the rushed goodbye party, deciding to give out proper individual farewells instead. Of course, this made Chris happy to have two extra days with her before she went off and rearranged her entire life, but that only meant dragging out the goodbye.

Chris stood in the garden, playing yet another woeful melody on his violin. His shoulders slouched as he glided bow delicately along the strings, his empty gaze looking off to the distance. With a blink, tears fell, trailing down his cheeks and plunging onto the concrete. The girls silently watching him from afar swooned. A hot, rich, charming man with so much emotion and romance made them weak in the knees.

Alaina noticed it too, catching a glimpse of Chris in his somber state. At least now, she knew the story behind those dulled eyes, the argument between him and Victoria was hard to forget. After chasing someone for what was his entire life and not having the feelings reciprocated, it had to hurt. Her feelings were never within reach, and pretty soon, she wouldn't be either. It was disheartening to see him this way, but what could she do, right?

Alaina proceeded to the gymnasium to practice for their upcoming volleyball games. Luckily, the gym was absent of bubble wrap and trash, so she was able to practice in peace. Things were starting to look up at this point, the volleyball games were going well, she had the V4 as friends, had the school off her ass for a bit—life was good.

Throwing the ball up into the air, Alaina struck the ball and hit it across the net, proudly smiling at the shot. She picked up another ball to practice the shot with, before hearing the gym door open. It was still early, students were either wandering the hallways, chatting in the courtyard, or were still in bed trying to get every minute of sleep they could before they had to wake up. No one had any reason to come into the gym. However, this particular person was there with a purpose. Alaina's eyes made contact with a pair of blue eyes, greeted with a beautiful and genuine smile.

"Victoria? I didn't expect to see you here." Alaina dropped the ball into the basket, approaching her guest. "I thought I was supposed to come see you later."

"Alaina, what a relief, I was told I'd find you here. I rescheduled my flight, I'm going to leave later today. I wanted to have the chance to see you one last time before I left." Victoria spoke with a smile on her face but the sorrow on her features was particularly potent. "I grew up in this town. This has been my home for so, so many years. The memories, my friends, my family," she said, her tone somehow bright. "I am leaving it all behind. I'll be starting over, without my family's status, money, and power. It's sad, but I'm happy." Her eyes gazed hopefully at Alaina. "I'm especially happy to know you are here. I knew, from the moment I saw you, that you were the girl Chris always talked about with a smile on his face."