𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟖: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐜𝐞 𝐨𝐟 𝐚𝐧 𝐀𝐩𝐨𝐥𝐨𝐠𝐲

With a deep breath, Alaina approached the door that held all the answers behind it

Opening the doors, she peered inside the room, taken by yet another gorgeous view. It was a large room with four bookshelves, a small sofa with a matching armchair, a marble and glass table, and a high arched window with gold and lace curtains. Across from it, stood the silhouette of a tall figure with his back turned towards her, his gaze seemingly transfixed on the window.

She took a quick glimpse at the butler who had accompanied her, returning her eyes forward. She began steadily and carefully walking forward, though the loud heels made her approach all the more conspicuous. The male turned as Alaina came closer, close enough to see. His hazel eyes met hers, each dark curl of his hair in its place, even the one that hung over his forehead. He didn't smile, he didn't say anything.

He just stared at her, silent for several moments, and when he spoke, it was only to say, "Is that really you?"

The anticipation and curiosity melted into relief and agitation as soon as she heard the voice of the mystery man. Of all the scenarios in her head, she overlooked the one that included him. Although, it was highly uncharacteristic for Damon to initiate something like this.

"Of course, it's you," she spoke, her shoulders relaxing. Why was she disappointed? Better him than some psycho, even if he was one to some degree. "Only you're insane enough to kidnap someone. Was a formal invite not an option?"

Damon smiled at her. "What? Expecting someone else?" he poked, eliciting an eye roll from Alaina. "We both know a formal invite would be declined on the spot. I had to turn to unconventional methods."

"So you kidnapped me." She glanced at him resentfully.

"Do you feel kidnapped?" he questioned with a tilt.

Her eyes bounced around for a second, looking down at the fancy dress and heels at her feet. "No," she answers with uncertainty in her tone. "Not really. But that doesn't mean it's not a kidnapping." She defends her answer, not that it needed reasoning anyways, the idea was ridiculous regardless. The whole situation just didn't add up. "I don't understand, why did you go through the trouble of kidnapping me for a stupid makeover?" She let her eyes wander and took in the scenery.

When she told him to go back to his mansion, she didn't imagine this.

It was like a large palace, one owned by this menace standing across from her. Now it made sense, why the maids and butlers were so shocked, it was safe to assume Damon hadn't given this treatment to any other girl. But then, why was she the first? After the track record he'd set from the past two weeks, she was anticipating the worst, and yet, the scariest part in this had been the kidnapping. Her guard was still up, this could all very easily be a set up for an elaborate scheme of his.

Damon coolly walked towards Alaina, expressionless. His gaze trailed over her, inspecting the details of her makeover. She blinked as he carefully took a hold of her shoulders, turning her to face a body length mirror. "Take a look," he uttered, eyeing her up and down. "Isn't it surprising, even to yourself?" He exhaled, a slow smile curved the corner of his lips. "Sure enough, when you paint with money even an ugly duckling can disguise itself as a peacock." Sigh. A swan, Damon. A swan.