𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟐: 𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐀𝐮𝐜𝐭𝐢𝐨𝐧

In the large parlor room downstairs waited around fifty people, all dressed in expensive and glamorous attire

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

In the large parlor room downstairs waited around fifty people, all dressed in expensive and glamorous attire. A red carpet ran along the center of the room to a small stage where the items would be auctioned off. There was a light chatter among the guests, discussing their business ventures and successes, and conversation with vocabulary that no one ordinary would understand.

It appeared to be a carefully curated event, everyone was busy with their respective responsibilities. Suited butlers walked around the room with trays of drinks and appetizers, others handed out paddles to the participants that were just arriving. The maids were off in the kitchen, replacing the butler's emptied trays with new ones. Backstage, there were other staff members helping with readying the items in the order the script had them in.

Complying with the Madame's instructions, the V4 and Alaina joined the guests. Damon led Alaina to the side of the room near the back, far from the Madame's attentive gaze, before he had to leave to attend to the preparation. Cordie stayed beside her, accompanying her in case things went wrong. Brendan and Chris were on the other side of the room, just across from them.

"Your eyes will light up at our next item." The auctioneer said with enthusiasm.

As he spoke about it, a woman wheeled out an exotic-skin belt. "Worn by Elizabeth Taylor herself, this belt possesses an 18-karat yellow gold buckle accented with nine round diamonds. Yes, it is a truly is a beautiful piece. We'll start the bidding at $5,000!" he shouted.

"6,000." Cordie said, lifting her bidding paddle.

"We've got $6,000!" The auctioneer said.

"7,000!" A woman in the crowd shouted.

"10,000!" Cordie chipped in.

"We've got 10,000! $10,500, anyone?" the auctioneer asked.

The same woman from before said, "$12,000." Cordie smiled, proud of herself for raising the stakes so much already.

"12,000! We have $12,000. Anyone else? Going once, twice." The auctioneer patted the wooden mallet against the podium. "Sold!"

The next item went up. Then the next. Time crawled by ever so slowly. These were dull moments. Only those with complete neglect of logical thought and absurd amounts of wealth could hold interest in such an event. Alaina boredly watched the auction progress, she didn't have the same taste as the people in the room. It was all overpriced art, clothing, and items she didn't understand the value of. But finally, an item came up that caught her eye.

"This next item is none other than an autographed volleyball of Misty May-Treanor. It is the very ball she used during the Olympics this past year, in which she won the gold medal," the auctioneer told the crowd.

Alaina gasped, her eyes flashing with a hint of excitement. She could only dream of having the money to throw around to obtain something like that. But reality was, she would never be able to have that kind of money. She suppressed her excitement, disappointedly listening to the crowd's bids as they tried to steal the ball.

Against All Odds | Tempting Fate #1जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें