𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟕: 𝐁𝐞𝐜𝐨𝐦𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐚 𝐏𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐜𝐞𝐬𝐬

Towards the end of the weekend, Alaina went out to check the mail

Towards the end of the weekend, Alaina went out to check the mail. It was the first time she'd stepped out of the house all weekend, contrary to what she'd tell her dad on his evening phone call. She didn't mind the lifestyle, the routine was relaxing and much needed after the eventful weekdays she had. Looking over the envelopes, she flipped through the covers trying to spot what was important or worth looking at, and what needed to be immediately trashed.

"Spam, spam . . . ooh, food." She read over the details of the restaurant and the menu items it highlighted.

From the corner of her eye, Alaina noticed a black car that she'd seen earlier that day lurking at the end of the street. She knew for a fact no one in her neighborhood was anywhere near the pay grade to afford a car that fancy, that car didn't belong here. The placement, along with the unusually dark windows, she knew not to be out longer than she needed to be. She closed the mailbox and made haste for her door. But it was never that easy.

Out of nowhere, Alaina felt a tap on her shoulder, followed by the voice of an older man. "Excuse me, are you Miss Alaina Montez?"

Alaina flipped around, blinking when she saw a suited stranger and his associates asking for her. There were five of them. Tall men in black suits, like the secret service agents that worked for the president. What could they want with her? Her eyes darted between the men, looking at her surroundings and preparing an escape route. There was no way she could take on all five of them. Her door was a few feet away behind her, but they wouldn't allow her to get close enough. Maybe she could jump over her neighbor's fence and cross over to their yard? No, that was stupid, aiming for the door to the house was the best course of action.

"Depends, who's asking," she took a few steps back.

She couldn't be in some kind of legal trouble, could she? Damon's parents owned the school, could he have reported her to have her locked up for some absurd crime he'd pinned on her? Had the three headaches accused her of harassing them when she'd only done what she had in retaliation? Rich people had power, rather money, and this looked like the kind of thing one of them had ordered.

"You have to come with us," he told her, as two of the other men grabbed a hold of each of her arms.

"What the—who the hell are you? I'm not going anywhere until you give me answers!" She shuffled around, fighting to retrieve her arms, she was just within reach of her door. She noticed a cloth in one of their hands. "Oh no, we're not doing this." She backed away, but the distance between the cloth and her face were already closing.

"We were told you would probably fight us, so please forgive me," he added politely, before covering her mouth and nose with a chloroform drenched cloth.

With a tight hold around her, two of the men led her away as the other kept the cloth over her mouth, the SUV from before circling over to them. Despite her willingness to struggle out of their grasp, her strength was failing her as the lack of oxygen weakened her. Her eyes were becoming harder to keep open, waves of dizziness were hitting her with more strength than the last. Within a couple of minutes, her lungs filled with the chemical and everything faded to black.