𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟏𝟐: 𝐑𝐚𝐢𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐒𝐭𝐚𝐤𝐞𝐬

Alaina was up bright and early on this particular Friday morning

Alaina was up bright and early on this particular Friday morning. There was a bounce in her step as she made her way down the halls, and it wasn't just because of her ankle. She had taken the bus to school today, saving herself pain from the walk and trading it for aggravating her injury at the gymnasium.

It appeared to be a rather careless decision, yet it was very much justified. Today was the first day of volleyball practice. She was the final member of the team—lucky to even have been accepted this late—and had to play a bit of catch up after missing the first half of September. The team only had a couple weeks to prepare for their games, and there was high anticipation and lots of pressure to make it to the finals, so attending each and every practice was essential.

While Alaina was advised to take it easy for a sooner recovery, but she wasn't letting anymore hindrances come in the way of her and passion. That included the obstacle of uncooperative teammates. Although, fate was in her favor today. The volleyball girls were far more tolerable than expected, amiable even. Some of them were there on sports scholarships, others were there because of their love for volleyball. The rest were going to need proof of skill to be friendly towards her, and proof she delivered.

Practice went fairly well, she made some friends and some acquaintances. Still, they were hesitant to interact with her past practice, fearing getting mixed up with the Red Card holder. She didn't mind it, so long as they treated her like an ally when it mattered.

Alaina stuck around after practice, getting to know her new teammates a little more before waving them off as the time drew closer to their next class. She gathered her things together, changing out of her jersey into her uniform. She tightened the fabric on her ankle brace before sliding her shoe on again, it was holding up pretty well so far. Making sure she had everything she needed, she gave a farewell to the coach and walked out the locker room. She had some time to kill before the teachers showed up to the classrooms, so she took a seat on the bleachers.

In the gym, something else waited for her, it was just a matter of waiting for the perfect time to execute it, and now was their window of opportunity. The rest of the team had left to either go for a run in the field or go out to the courtyard and socialize, so the gym was empty. Three boys hid around the corner, they had plans of their own for the Red Card girl.

Randy stood from his crouched position and nodded. "Alright, let's go before Coach Carter gets back."

Sean shook his head. "Nah, I got an idea," he grinned.

Scrolling through her socials, Alaina found what she would expect, an online documentation of the Red Card girl's journey from the start to the present, was trending on her school's account. There was the paint incident with the literal Red Card girl in red, the incident from the beginning of the week labeling her as "Janitor Montez".

"How original." She scrolled through the comments, unfazed by the same old remarks.

She stood up from the bleachers, walking down to start making her way to class. While Alaina's attention was occupied by her phone, Randy ran out and tackled Alaina quietly, covering her mouth so she couldn't scream. Alaina let out muffled yells, pulling at the hand against her mouth. She didn't recognize the guy, but she didn't need to recognize him to know his intent, and she refused to fall victim to their actions. She was no easy prey to get caught up in this. She kicked her leg up, kneeing his stomach and knocking him to the side.