𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟏: 𝐀 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝 𝐨𝐟 𝐚 𝐅𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐧𝐝

Upstairs in the ballroom, there were a series of rooms, one of which was reserved by Victoria

Upstairs in the ballroom, there were a series of rooms, one of which was reserved by Victoria. A rack of dresses was on the side of an incredible vanity, along with a bed sprawled with boxes of accessories and shoes spread out at the hem. Alaina sat silently on a sofa, dressed in a robe as Victoria sifted through the clothes on the rack.

Alaina's hand casually fiddled with the locket dangling at her neck. "You . . . you helped me back there. Why?" she finally spoke up. The V4 and her still had a very unclear relationship, but it was still uncharacteristic for them—or someone associated with them—to help her out.

"You're Alaina, right?" Her eyes were unmoving from the rack, turning to her briefly. Alaina nodded slowly, watching as Victoria moved across the room to her closet. "Chris talks about you a lot."

"He does?"

A smile unknowingly stretched across her face with hopefulness. Chris talked about her? She was important enough to be a conversation, one with the girl he was supposedly in love with? It was exciting and encouraging, but she didn't know why. There should have been more of a dejected feeling, speaking to this flawless woman Chris admired, and yet she couldn't help feeling special over it. For someone who didn't say much and kept to themselves a lot, having talked about her to someone was significant.

"Not to mention, I hate girls who make it their goal to pick on others. Such childish behavior," she continued. Victoria picked out a hanger holding a chiffon coral gown, holding it up and turning to Alaina, scrutinizing her for a second. "I was right. This fits your style best." Victoria said softly as she walked towards Alaina and set the dress beside her. She leaned down, brushing back a few strands of Alaina's hair. "You don't even need any makeup. You are a natural beauty." She gave her a friendly smile.

Alaina eyed the dress. "Oh wow, this is gorgeous." The ones Damon's maids had shown her were beautiful but far too pretentious, this one was far more to her liking. She pursed her lips, sheepishly looked down at her hands in her lap. "Uh, you—" she didn't manage to finish the sentence, Victoria seemed to know what was on her mind already.

"Please, don't feel burdened. I'm doing this because I want to." She went from the vanity back to Alaina, coming back and brushing her hair. She clipped back some of her dark hair, bringing some strands out at the front. "Perfect."

All of this felt like a sisterly bonding moment, somehow different from how it was with Emily, and Alaina was enjoying every second. There was something about Victoria that made you feel so valued and loved. Her smile was so warm, her eyes gleaming with care, her words so affectionate and understanding. During these moments, she easily recognized the qualities her family adored her for.

"I've known him for a long time, and I know Chris isn't the type of person to act so kindly to a stranger. So, seeing him get involved in someone else's business like that . . . well, it's the first time I've seen him do so. You must be an exceptional person, Alaina," Victoria praised, raising her eyebrows at Alaina.