Chapter 6 - Christian Grows up

Over the next many years, to all their delight Christian grew into a caring, responsible young man that was excited about life and all it had to offer.

As Christian had grown up, he had been allowed to go to regular mass and be involved with the other parishioners. He had become an active member of the youth group there and enjoyed many outings and other events with those his age. It wasn't long before he started talking about going away to college and maybe one day getting married and having a family of his own. This is something Mother Christina had not considered as he was growing up. She had always hoped Christian would become a priest or at least stay at the convent in the monastery. She was troubled by the thought of him leaving the safety of the convent for anything longer than an overnight stay. Of course, during those times, Christina and a monk, Father Sebastian, were always close by. He never realized he was being guarded so closely though. Christian was only partially aware of the circumstances that had taken him to the convent as an infant. This left Christina in a dilemma. She didn't want him to know of the violent past and of the horrible way his parents died, but she knew she would soon have to tell him about the Warbrotums and that his life could be in danger if he were to venture too far away.

It was to Christina's great dismay that Christian came in one evening and announced suddenly that he was engaged to get married. Everyone at the convent and monastery was shocked. They were not aware that Christian even had a serious girlfriend. Mother Christina was beside herself with worry and knew she had to talk to Christian now and tell him of the threat to his life that he would face in the outside world. She could put it off no longer.