Chapter 24

Ella was so lost in her thoughts, that she didn't hear the side door of the classroom open. She didn't realize when everyone in the classroom had settled down and stopped talking. She wasn't sure how long class had been in session when she heard her name being spoken. She startled a little, as she was jarred out of her thoughts. She looked up, and looking down at her, with one eyebrow raised and a very unamused look on his face, was Dr Moustakas. She attempted to speak, but the way he was looking at her, made her swallow hard. She tried again. "I'm sorry. I ...was just ..." Her mind was dragging. He was not going to let her off the hook either. He was going to wait there until she spit out an explanation of why she was not prepared for his class and why she was not paying attention. It was one of his biggest pet peeves. One that he would become angry over. One that she had seen him become angry over with other people. His gaze was still on her, and she knew everyone else was watching as well. "I was thinking of something else, and I lost track of time." She finally got her excuse out for daydreaming in his class , but he still looked down at her with the same annoyed look. She dared not look back at him as she slowly retrieved her books and put them on her desk.

"I will see you after class Ms. Xander." There was an unmistakable irritation in his words.

The familiar sinking feeling along with a few jitters scurried around in her stomach. She heard the snicker of Christopher behind her, but it didn't last very long as the professor's glare traveled quickly from her to him. She felt like thanking him, actually. It took some of the attention off of her, from the entire class, and put it on himself. The professor quickly went back to his desk and began the class, without giving her or Christopher much more thought. She was relieved, but only somewhat, because she knew she had to face him after class. Sibylla wasn't in the class today. She had been excused for an art project otherwise she knew she would have shaken her out of her daydreaming before it was too late. Her two friends, Oliver and Lucas both sat in the back now. She was sure they were back there trying to get her attention before he entered the room. No one else in there really knew her, except for Christopher. She knew he was looking forward to seeing her get in trouble. Especially since he had been in hot water a couple of times because of bothering her.

"Ms. Xander, please stand at the white board." Ella was shocked that she was being called to go to the dry erase board. She hesitated for a moment before getting out of her chair and doing as she was told. She was shaking because she absolutely hated standing up in front of people. Not to mention she wasn't sure exactly what kind of problem she would have to solve.

He wrote the problem out on the board and asked her to solve it... + 9SiO2 + ........C → 9CaSiO3 + CaF2 + ........CO + ........P '. Ella's face turned red and she wanted to crawl under her desk. She didn't like being made an example out of and she knew that was exactly what he was doing. But when Ella looked at the problem, she could finally breathe a little. It was a relatively simple equation that she knew she would have no problem working out. She took the marker in hand and started working on the problem, being sure to show all of her work and how she got the answers. She timidly put the marker down and looked up at him. Even though she felt confident that she had solved the problem, she didn't like being on the spot.

"Very well done" he spoke with a note of surprise. You have obviously been doing your reading. Tell me how you knew how to complete the entire equation. We haven't covered some of this yet.

Again, in a timid voice, she explained that a priest from her school loved to teach her math and some chemistry in their spare time and worked with her often on the subjects. "Father Poly taught me how to do these types of equations.

"Father Poly Benedict?"

"Yes", she was a little surprised that he knew the father. "He lives at the monastery beside the convent. We play math games, and he teaches me how to work out the problems when I don't understand."

"I know Father Poly. A good man he is. You may have a seat now." Nicholas was a little surprised that Ella knew how to work the long equation that he had written out for her to solve. He expected that she should know how to complete the first part, but she was able to complete the entirety of it. The girl was very smart. There was no denying that. But he still would not tolerate her drifting off in his class and he had to get that point across to her. He also wanted to talk to her about a couple of other matters that he had been made aware of. This would be a good opportunity to do that as well.    

As much as she prayed class would be interrupted by a fire drill or another unforeseen event that would prevent the talk with Dr Moustakas, inevitably, class came to an end, and she had to face him. As she watched everyone as they walked past her, wishing so bad that she were walking out that door as well, she purposely kept her eyes away from the direction the doctor was standing. She could feel him watching her though. She felt like she was always doing something to make him single her out. She wished she could have blended in with the rest of the students here, but she seemed to have some sort of beacon attached to her, that he always homed in on. She kept her head turned until the final student was gone, and then she had no choice but to turn back around. As she thought, he was standing there watching her, with that same stringent look on his face. She sat still, daring not to look directly at him, waiting for him to speak.

"Would you like to tell me what was so important, that you were so focused on, that kept you from listening in my class?" He paused for an answer, but she remained quiet.

"The one thing I will not tolerate, is not having your full attention while you are in here. That means from the time the bell rings at the beginning of class until it rings at the end of class, you are mine."

Her stomach was still in knots. She always had trouble talking when she felt like this, but she knew he expected an answer from her. She finally got out her sheepish reply. "I'm sorry." It was the only thing she could think of saying.

He looked at her intently but didn't press her further for more of an explanation. She thought she noticed his jaw relax and the expression on his face softened some, but he still sounded very serious.

"One more thing Ella. Please be wary of who you trust while you are here. Especially those of the male persuasion. I will warn you against going into places that you aren't familiar with here. Do not, under any circumstances, allow yourself to be lured into an isolated location where there are no other students or staff, even by a staff member. I cannot always be there to guard your wellbeing. Do you understand?"

She was a little confused at how this conversation switched to such a different topic. She nodded her head. "Yes sir." She commented softly. She wasn't sure if they were done yet. Again, he stood there, looking at her, as if he were waiting on her to say something else. The butterflies were still there as he watched her. They felt different this time, but she couldn't place why. She was hoping he would let her go.

"Very well. You can go, but I do hope you take to heart everything we just discussed. I expect you to be prepared for class when I see you on Monday. You may go now."

With that, she quickly grabbed her things, but then decided to control her haste in leaving, to prevent him from possibly laughing at her. That was one of her biggest fears...being laughed at. Unfortunately, she had learned, while being at the school, that there was nothing more humiliating than that. He knew how nervous she was, being there with him, but honestly, she had seen him be much harder on other students for doing the same thing she had done. She knew she had gotten off pretty easy. She didn't know why, but she wasn't about to question him about it.