Chapter 11

It wasn't long before Nicholas arrived at the infirmary. He had a scowl on his face that Maggie couldn't miss.

"How did it go?" Maggie asked him, with a bit of apprehension in her voice.

"He ran and hid, as is his usual way. I searched for a while but decided I needed to get back here. Anyway, how is our girl?"

"I did the scans of her head, so you can look at them. I got her all cleaned up. She has a deep cut on the back of her leg, but other than that, I didn't see anything else that looked too bad. You can look and see what you think."

They walked over to the bed, and he pulled up a rolling stool beside her. Ella was peacefully sleeping and was covered up with a white blanket. Maggie brought the device that she had scanned her head with to the doctor and he took some time to study them. When he was satisfied he had not missed anything, he gave the device back to Maggie. "Can you print those and place them in her folder please. I see a small concussion but no bleeding. She's lucky considering the amount of swelling." He rolled his sleeves up on both sides and got up to wash his hands and came and sat back down. He pulled the stethoscope from around his neck and began examining her. He paid close attention to the cuts and marks on her, making sure they were superficial. He then had Maggie help roll her to the side to look at her back and the back of her leg. "Yes, Maggie, you're right. That will take a few sutures." They laid her on her back again for a moment and he, one at a time, bent both legs up at the knees, and opened them into a butterfly position and examined her there. "Her hymen is intact as I anticipated. If I hadn't gotten there in time no doubt that would have been taken from her. He straightened her legs back and covered her up with the blanket.

The doctor went to the counter and cleaned his hands as Maggie prepared the tray he needed. They returned back to Ella and once she was on her side, he sutured up the wound. Maggie placed a gown on her but left it unbuttoned in the front. The doctor had returned to the counter to prepare something and when he came back, he had three syringes in his hand. He sat beside Ella again and pulled the unbuttoned gown over to the side to expose the top of her arm and gave her one injection. He then pulled the gown up from the bottom enough to get to her hip. He gave one injection in her hip and one in her thigh. He readjusted her gown, buttoned it up and covered her up. As he stood up and washed his hands, he spoke to Maggie again. "Maggie, I will be going back to my office for a few moments before going to my apartment. Please call me if you need anything. If there are any problems with her, I want to know as soon as possible, please."

"Absolutely Dr Moustakas. I'm sure she will be fine."

"If she has pain when she wakes up, she can have what is in my order set. Let me know if it is not helping. I don't expect her to wake up until in the morning, so I don't think she will need anything before then."

Dr Moustakas left the infirmary and Maggie made herself comfortable for the night. She knew she would most likely not be able to sleep tonight, so there was no reason to call one of her nurses in. She would feel better if she stayed with this young girl, at least until tomorrow evening. She had a feeling she was going to be very upset when she woke up, and she wanted to be there to comfort her. She couldn't figure out what a young, innocent looking girl would be doing tromping around in the forbidden forest, especially at night.