Chapter 43

Sometimes the dimension between awake and asleep can be difficult to distinguish. Ella was somewhere between these two worlds when she became aware of a light pleasant scent that invaded the obscure corridors of her mind. It had a vague familiarity to it that couldn't be placed. She had nearly completed her ascension from the murky depths of her shadowy refuge, but she was enjoying the last bit of warmth and serenity that it provided. The further she climbed though, the more aware she was that she was not in a familiar place.

Ella was first aware of a dim light interrupting her sleep and then realized in a start, that she was in the downy softness of a large very comfortable bed. This was not the first time she had woken up in an unfamiliar bed and she had a knot in her stomach at her luck of having such a thing happen to her again. The first time was when she woke up in the infirmary bed, which didn't bode too ill for her, but she didn't think this time would end as well. Again, the faint smell wafted to her nostrils. It was a familiar and pleasant scent, but she still couldn't quite place it. She looked around, holding the covers tight under her chin, as if they would protect her if someone were to jump out at her. The furnishings in the room were large pieces, an armoire, a dresser and a chest of drawers and they were made of dark mahogany and there was a black leather chase lounge sitting near the bed. One thing was becoming evident, this was a man's room. He heart began to pound as she realized where she had smelled that familiar scent...it was Nicholas's cologne. There was no doubting that this was Nicholas's room. Before she could even move to get out of the bed, the door flew open and in came a very cheery Maggie in her booming voice with a team of about 3 other girls, whom she gave specific instructions to of what their chores were. Ella was confused and dumbfounded. The last girl to enter carried a long, beautiful gown with her and soon she hung it on the large armoire. It was her wedding gown. Today was her wedding day. This was Nicholas's room. What was her future husband going to say about her waking up on the morning of her wedding in another man's room? The weight of the entire situation came down on her and she had to choke back tears. She was going to marry a man that she couldn't stand. She not only couldn't stand him, but she was frightened of him as well. She had heard rumors of how his previous wife frequently had bruises from "accidents" that always happened to her. Everyone suspected that the man was abusing her, but no one could prove it, nor would she admit that there was a problem. Her mysterious death also hung over Ella's head and made her heart heavy. Nicholas had promised he would not allow the ministry to force her into a marriage with this man, but here she was, only hours away from marrying him anyway. And now, she was in Nicholas's bed. What if her new husband found out about this? He would surely be angry even though the circumstances were completely innocent...or were they? The memories of the previous night started creeping into Ella's mind. "Oh nooooo..." she thought to herself. She remembered how Nicholas had touched her and how she had begged him to continue. She was so ashamed. She had begged him not to stop but thankfully he did. What if he told her new husband? He was angry with her for trying to escape last night. Was it a punishment for trying to get away? Was it another way to mock her? Was her new husband going to find out about last night? How would she ever live down last night. She was sure to see Nicholas again, especially with her in his room. What if he came back to the room while she was in here? What if he wanted to complete what had started? She was going to be a married woman in just a few hours, and she was in another man's bed. The tears overflowed and she was in complete despair. There was absolutely no way out of this. She was completely defeated. There was nothing she could do except face the consequences of her actions. She would marry a man she despised and have to accept her punishment for her actions.

"Why are you crying dear? You should be elated. This is your wedding day. Don't you think your dress looks grand? Isn't it gorgeous?

Maggie was so genuinely happy and excited for this day. Ella couldn't bear hurting the older lady's feelings by bashing her new husband's name. She decided she was going to be strong and proud, and she was going to do everything possible to be a beautiful bride. She dried up her eyes and crawled out of the bed and walked over to the dress and examined it. It was exquisite and the most beautiful dress she had ever seen. It was made with such minute detail. It was ivory/blush pink, with beautiful flowers adorning the bodice and sleeves. It had a clinched waistline with a bateau neck. There were many layers of beautiful material which were embellished with delicate beautiful silk flowers trickling down each side. The long dress was accompanied by a train that was complimented with muted floral embroidery. The dress was full, like something a princess would wear. She did her best to sound happy and excited about this day and the gorgeous gown. "Oh yes Maggie. It is beautiful. It's the most beautiful gown I've even seen."