Chapter 18

Ella stood at Lucy's door tapping on it lightly, as to not disturb any of the other girls around them. She had to tap several times though, before she heard rustling inside and finally a voice on the other side of the door asked who it was.

"It's just me Lucy...It's Ella." A second later the door opened slightly and then all the way as Lucy stood there looking at Ella with a baffled look on her face.

"Is everything ok? Are you ok Ella?"

"Oh Lucy...I'm so glad you are safe!" She spoke softly trying hard not to cry. The tears wouldn't be held back though, as she pulled Lucy to her and hugged her tightly.

"Of course, I'm safe Ella." Lucy spoke with a half chuckle. "Why wouldn't I be?" She looked at Ella with what some may have thought was pity. She was as worried about her friend as Ella was about her.

Ella swallowed hard and tried to hold back any further crying. "I'm so sorry for waking you up, but I had to make sure you were ok. I had a horrible nightmare. It was so scary, and it seemed so real. I had to come and check on you."

"I'm ok Ella. Safe and sound. What did you dream?" She couldn't help but wonder.

"I can't talk about it right now. I know I owe you an explanation for waking you up, but I can't tell you. I don't want to think about it. I'll try to tell you tomorrow. I hope you understand."

There was a certain desperation in Ella's voice that made Lucy realize she truly couldn't talk about it. She wished she could let Ella stay in her room tonight, just to make her feel better, but there was literally no room for her friend to sleep in there. "It's ok Ella. I understand. I wasn't asleep anyway, so don't feel bad. You didn't wake me up. Do you want to sit in my room for a little while or I could sit in your room with you if you want?" She was gently holding Ella by her arm, trying to comfort her.

"Thank you, Lucy but I don't want to keep you up. I'll be ok. I think I'll read a book. That usually helps me feel better. "

"You're not going to keep me up, I promise. I won't be going to sleep for a while anyway. Are you sure you don't want to sit and talk?"

"I'm sure but thank you. I think I'll be ok now that I know you are ok too." It was easier for her to speak now. She wiped away the tears that were slowly starting to dry on her face.

Lucy was truly concerned about her friend. She had been through so much in such a short period of time. No wonder she was having nightmares. She would ask Ella tomorrow if she thought this was something that maybe they should all talk about, just for support. Or even as much as Ella wouldn't want to, she was wondering if she should bring some of this to the attention of Dr Moustakas. Of course, she knew Ella was completely afraid of him, but he was the one person that may be able to help her with several of these other issues...like Christopher Wessenger bullying her and now nightmares and her asthma that was getting worse. Also, it seemed like Professor Addison was being a little too flirty with Ella and she didn't know how to handle that either. At first, it was just an innocent exchange when he had her stay after class one day, but lately, they all had noticed some awkward statements and even gestures from the professor directed toward Ella. It was sort of creepy. She knew that Ella thought so too, but she didn't want to cause trouble. Ella had told her group of friends that she felt like she had already caused so much trouble in her short time at the school, and that, in itself, was another thing that kept her friend so disheartened.