The Daydreamer - Chp 46 [Change]

~Tonight we'll stand and get off our knees/Fight for what we've worked for/All these years/The battle was long/It was the fight of our lives/But we'll stand up, champions tonight/It was the night things changed~

“Again mummy, again!” I squealed as she held me high in the air running around making plane noises. I giggled and squealed as she laughed through her pants, her face bright and happy. The face I loved seeing the most. She had again put her makeup on funny again; she had put big purples blobs on her cheeks and then mixed them with a yucky yellow. She always wore her makeup differently and she’d simply reply with a “Just experimenting my baby, just experimenting.”

“Oh I think that’s quite enough flying tonight, mummy plane is running out of fuel.” She panted flopping back onto my small bed with me. I took that moment to snuggle into her making sure not to snuggle into one of her ‘ouch’ spots. Mummy sighed holding me tight combing her fingers through my hair, taking a rest, these moments were always the best, my most cherished.

“Do you want a story tonight baby?” she cooed as I snuggled into the crook of her neck inhaling her scent deeply, I wish I smelt like that, the smell of safety.

“Mummy?” I yawned as she pulled my blanket up around the both of us.

“Mmmm?” she asked, I could imagine her eyes closed as she took a break, dad was out again with his many friends, all girls, and his favorite juice; ‘angry juice’, it smelt awful.

“Jade told me today that she had a birthday cake for her birthday.” I murmured mummy’s scent rocking me to sleep like those pretty lullabies she sings.

Mummy made a content sound in the back of her throat “Do you want me to make you a cake?” she whispered kissing tenderly at the crown of my head.

“No, I mean yes but I wasn’t getting at that.” I mumbled my tiny little hands curling in her shirt; I felt so small against mummy, smaller and scared against dad. Mummy chuckled as she continued to stroke my hair, her warm breath caressing my skin, it was ticklish. I giggled with mummy oblivious to what was funny, but it had to be funny for mummy to be making such happy sounds.

“What were you getting at baby?” her amusement clear.

“She said she made a wish, she had to make a wish before she blew out her candles.” I said waking back up at the thought. “Why don’t we ever make wishes?” I said looking up at her my eyes wide and awake now with curiosity.

“Cos I have all my wishes right here in my arms.” she said squeezing me with a gentle kiss to my forehead.

I humphed “Seriously?” I persisted, I wasn’t one to take mum’s avoidance or lies to my questions with ease and even at such a young age of five I knew when she was doing so. Mummy had always taught me that lying got me nowhere.

“Some times baby,” she began sighing in defeat choosing her words delicately “you can’t always get all your wishes but only the things you need. And what I needed baby was you, you were all I needed and I got you. It is more than enough.”

I frowned “So I won’t always get what I want?” I asked my sudden thoughts of the same house and never moving, a car and a pretty little house with a garden for fairies and princesses to share with only mum all going out the window.

Mum smiled softly at me, a gentle feature on her ragged face, yet she was as beautiful as an angel her curled hair hanging in natural ringlets down her face and falling gracefully in my hands and her round warm eyes washing me away to those dreams all on their own.