Prologue

I didn't think it would end like this. Bloody, bruised, and broken. Alone in a broken city surrounded by creatures and beasts that plagued our world and had made the last four years hell.
I had hoped it would be better, at least live long enough to see my son have children of his own. I knew i would have died happy knowing I had made this place safe enough for that reality.
But I knew he would make great choices, even with me gone.

He was brave. And strong. He had to be. We all had to be in the end. It was the only way we would survive.

I screamed at Xavier to take Rohnan and run as the wave of ferals advanced towards me. I knew I wouldn't make it, but if I could give Xavier enough time to get my son to safety, it would be worth it. I heard Rohnan call out, the fear laced in his voice almost enough to make me turn back. If I did though, we would all die.

I guess that's the part of being a parent, making the hard decisions to save them. Even if it costs you your life.

I felt the oath that I had bound Xavier to surge and he reluctantly grabbed Rohnan, the boy almost kicking and screaming, as they turned and ran towards the safety of the Tower that stood in the distance.

I pulled on all my powers, hands glowing white as I felt that barrier between safety and flaming out wobble. But I couldn't stop, I couldn't fail Rohnan or the people in the Tower. I threw my hands to the ground as the first wave attacked, sending them flying in all directions, hitting buildings and each other with sicking cracks, and their surprised yowls cut short as they died instantly.
Pulling my sword from its sheath and gun from my holster, I began hacking and shooting the next wave, dodging and weaving their attacks and ignoring the stabs of pain when their talons caught my skin.

The overpowering amount of toxin that was slowly entering my body told me I would be dead before I killed them all, but it was a small price to pay for fulfilling my duties. As a parent, and as an Aura.
I mean, what else had we been created for?

I heard an eerie howl go up in the distance, and almost immediately the ferals stopped their attack, ears pricked as they looked in the direction the sound had come. I faltered for a moment, I had never heard that sound before. It was almost... sad, but it tugged at something inside my chest.

I brought down two more ferals before they all started running towards the strange howl as if they too were drawn to it. I glanced back at the Tower; Xavier and Rohnan would almost be safely back inside its walls. This was my last chance to make the city as safe as possible before I died.
I turned and ran after the pack of ferals, hoping they would bring me to their Alpha so I would get a chance to disperse this pack once and for all.

I felt the toxin wreaking havoc on my body, the faint brush of Liam and Xaviers powers told me they were searching for whether I was alive or dead, and the anguish that washed through me from Liam at the state my body was in, almost caused my feet to falter. I gritted my teeth and pushed on; I couldn't turn back now.

I stumbled around a corner, barely seeing the last feral dash around the next as I struggled to keep up. I reached out to the building beside me to steady myself, feeling my hand slip slightly. I glanced down and realised it was covered in blood.
My blood.
I clenched my jaw tightly and stumbled on, now hearing a commotion up head where the ferals had disappeared to and as I stumbled around the final corner I felt myself take a step back, fear and confusion spreading throughout as I looked on the gruesome sight.

The pack of ferals were fighting a pack of...wolves?

They stood on their back legs, claws the length of knives, teeth white and razor sharp as a dozen of them ripped into the ferals, throwing them around like ragdolls. I could see the Alpha feral standing not too far off, shifting from foot to foot as his pack was annihilated before him. I was frozen in terror and bewilderment that I didn't notice the feral that had snuck up on me until its teeth sunk into my shoulder.

I gave a howl of pain as I was ripped to the ground, my back hitting the rubble with a thud, knocking the breath from my lungs as I was dragged away. The entire group of wolf-like creatures stopped their slaughter immediately, their eerie green eyes turning in my direction, and when I let out an ear-piercing scream as the beast's teeth tore further into my flesh they were suddenly moving, swarming in my direction and I knew I was done. I was going to be ripped to pieces before I had a chance to make this area safe.

Gritting my teeth I gathered my powers, reaching down further than I had ever reached before and drew on everything I could feel. I used my anger, hatred, jealousy, love, hope, and happiness, knowing the mixture of extreme emotions would feed the raw powers.

The world around me dulled, sounds becoming a muffled buzz, and all I could hear was my breathing. I felt my body start to vibrate, hands glowing steadily, travelling up my arms towards my shoulders. I felt the power crackle from the tips of my fingers as it begged to be released.

I was so overwhelmed with the overpowering sensation of my powers I didn't notice the feral that was latched to my shoulder suddenly flung away, or register the fact the entire pack of wolf-creatures had stopped their advance and were now just staring at me. I heard that sad howl again, breaking through the dull buzz to pull at something deep inside my chest again, as if it was almost an instinct to seek out that sorrow and turn it into something more pleasant.

I was about to release my powers, destroy all the beasts that was within this vicinity when my head was suddenly turned to the side by a rough hand and my eyes locked with two golden-yellow ones that sat in a ridiculously good-looking face. I felt my breath hitch, something inside screaming at me, wanting this man closer. I felt my powers teetering on the edge of total destruction until this angelic man opened his mouth, his words freezing my powers in their place

"Enough woman." his voice was low and powerful, commanding in every way that Liams should have been, but wasn't. I felt the authority, the power, and yet did not feel as if I had to bow to it. But my powers did.

As it slipped away, my vision blurred, body going limp as all my energy was spent, the toxins spreading freely throughout now that my powers were no longer holding it at bay. I felt the warm trickle of blood flowing down my shoulder and arm as my wounds refused to close. With my energy spent, my healing was now at a human rate.

I saw a commotion out of the corner of my eye, turning my head meekly I could just make out another ridiculously good-looking man standing there, completely stark naked. He spoke something I couldn't hear, but I felt a growl rumble through the man now holding me.

"Mine," I heard him answer, voice deep and commanding. My heart missed a beat.

"But...alpha..." The other man started, only to be cut off with another deep growl

"Her wounds are laced with poison. Bring me Trixa, I will need her healing abilities" I barely turned my head back towards the man holding my frame, his eyes glowing in the dark as he stared down at me "Strange" he mumbled, almost to himself. I tried to protest, to force my body to fight back, to move. To do anything other than allow this stranger to carry me away.

Rohnan would think I was dead. They would see this carnage and assume I had been ripped to pieces. The look of horror that would be on his face flashed before my eyes as I whispered my sons name. I felt the man holding me tense before I finally slipped into darkness.

Jess M Plant | JMP