20 | Stubborn

Liam

Dark clouds swirled in the distance, bringing with it the possibility of rain. Shouts from below drifted up with the wind as Liam glared down into the courtyard, angry eyes locked onto Xavier's figure who was organising a group to do another sweep of the city.

The disrespect his beta had shown still lingered in the Alpha's mind. The beast squirmed inside at the challenge, causing Liam to bare his teeth. He could feel his hold slipping, it's hunger growing the longer Aiyanna was missing. Liam clenched his fist tight, feeling his nails bite into his palm to focus, trying to ignore the glaring obvious words that echoed from Xavier about his lack of control.

Liam's chest rumbled as he growled. How dare he. He was the Alpha of this pack, leader to these people. He didn't need Aiyanna to keep control.

"You're not in control" a high pitch voice drifted from behind. Liam spun around in surprise, not sensing or hearing the persons approach. But when his eyes landed on the blonde headed girl shock rippled through his body; how had she managed to get so close?
Her bright blue eyes were piercing, staring at him with an intensity that didn't belong to a child. He realised who she was; Clarice, Jax's daughter

Liam looked at her slightly puzzled, watching as her eyes flickered down his body as if assessing what type of threat he was. Odd.

"Excuse me?" Clarice cocked her head to the side, eyes still wide and unblinking

"Well, at least for now you are" she mumbled, chewing her lip suddenly as if in thought "it grows restless the longer she is away" Liam simply blinked at the girl. Her cocked head portrayed her as curious, but her eyes looked as if they held more than she was letting on. Liam's lip twitched in annoyance

"Where's your father? You shouldn't be up here anyw-"

"What do you think will happen if she doesn't return?" Clarice cut Liam off. She was so strange, the way she stood was almost unnaturally still, her eyes searched Liam's as if they belonged to someone much older then even him. Her questions were random, but he wasn't sure whether they were all directed at him, or if she was asking questions no one else had answers to.

"We will find Aiyanna, I promise. You don't need to worry, once she is back you will resume your lessons." he reassured, hoping this was enough for the girl to leave

"I was referring to you" her voice was like ice, freezing Liam to the spot "When she doesn't return in time and the beast finally takes control, what will you do then?" her body seemed to shift, almost as if there were a shadow clinging to her frame "With no one to bring you back, you are the only liability within these walls, the only one susceptible to going feral" Liam's anger sparked. The betrayal of Xavier was one, but for him to go around to others and impose his rantings to the others, to a child no less, was a step too far. He would have his head for that.

"Watch yourself, Clarice, you may be a child, but I am the leader of these people and Alpha of this pact. Your disobedience and insults will land you in deep water, " Liam growled, hoping the threat of punishment would be enough to deter the girl. She stared at him for a moment, chewing on her lip again but seemed unfazed by his hostility. She seemed to be contemplating his words

"Since your stubbornness and pride stopped you from accepting Aiyanna when you should have, you will be responsible for their screams as your rip them apart" Liam felt himself jerk backwards slightly at the bluntness. "When you have the blood of "your people" and "your pack" on your hands, I wonder who you will blame then" all hints of a child was gone in her voice, sounding as if it were replaced with another's, a voice deeper and filled with malice.