Chapter 0.4

Pictures are just give an idea. If you know the original creator of any of these, please leave a comment so I can give credit!

It had been a month since the night in the tent, and the full moon had risen high in the sky. We all stood outside with a painted boulder in the middle. Grown fairies of the coven formed a circle behind us, dressed in pure white robes that left their artfully painted bodies exposed to the elements. This was a special night, evidenced by the fact that all of the adults had their wings on full display. We stood there transfixed by this remarkable sight, marvelling at how powerful and beautiful they appeared under the light of this perfect evening. Suddenly, we were blessed with an experience that felt timeless and divine; it was something we would never forget.

Inside the circle stood I, Shaysa, Kasha, and other girls our age. Nervously, we all held hands, Kasha to my right and Shasya to my left. We stood solemnly around the boulder, where my mother and grandmother had gathered. My grandmother was leaning heavily against my mother, as her illness had progressed far too quickly in the week since its onset. She was no longer able to stand on her own, with none of the healers from our coven being able to help or take away her pain. All of us were filled with sadness for what seemed like an inevitable outcome - we all knew she could not keep up this fight much longer.

On the earth beneath us, lights had been placed as a feeble attempt to offer illumination to the winter night. Torches in the ground shined with a dull, bleak brightness, yet their flames were barely enough to lighten the darkness. The moon, too, gave off some glimmer of hope, but only a weak reflection from its cold and barren exterior. Even though no heat was being provided by these lights, their presence was reassuring in that there was still some source of faint light available.

"It is time," my grandmother's shaken voice broke the silence of the moment before murmuring around us started. Chants we had yet to learn from a language I did not understand built a strong rhythm. The wind carried the voices around us, making the choir sound like an army singing.

Inside, my grandmother lay down on the boulder, her fragile form so small on the stone. My mother stood to her side, and the tears down her eyes were clear. Never had I watched my mother cry before, and the tears wiped away the paint that had been put on her cheeks. In her hand, she lifted a knife, cutting her own palm before she cut my grandmother's. Then the wind began to pick up, the chantings from the witches grew louder, and the torches went out from the wind growing.

Then it all stopped.

It was quiet.

Nobody said anything, and nobody moved, and my heart was beating so fast I was sure the others could hear it.

To my right, Kasha squeezed my hand, nodding to a figure appearing through the trees. The figure coming towards us stood out from those around it, far taller than any woman I had ever encountered and considerably larger. Its steps were measured but powerful, slowly closing in on the field we stood. Staring down at its feet, I noticed that it did not seem to press down on the grass as it moved. As it came closer, my heart started to quicken; this was not a creature of folklore or fantasy like the fairies around us.

It walked determined towards my mother and grandmother, the chain of witches broke first, then afterwards, the girls across from me moved out of its way.

"It's the moon, God," Kasha whispered out, and I widened my eyes. The God was covered in darkness, looking like one big shadow, but somehow silver light was admitted from his form.

My mother took a few steps back, and her tears ran even more uncontrolled down her cheeks as the figure leaned down to my grandmother.

"No!" I yellled out as I tried to run towards them, but I got stopped by a strong grip. I looked over my shoulder to see that it was Azalea who had captured me into her arms. She whispered out words no doubt for comfort, but they all fell on deaf ears, as I could only focus on my family in the middle.