Chapter 21

Azriel:

As the routine settles into place over the next couple of days, the River House becomes a sanctuary for the intertwining of mortal and fae practices. Mornings begin with the ritual of waking up, followed by a shared meal that serves as a prelude to the day's activities. The River House, with its serene surroundings, becomes a focal point for Feyre's ongoing lessons in fae techniques, particularly the intricate art of breathing and meditation.

In the peaceful ambience of the River House, Euodia assumes the role of a patient guide, aiding Feyre in mastering the elusive art of controlled breathing. Hours pass in quiet dedication as they delve into the depths of meditation, the rhythmic exchange of breaths echoing through the tranquil space. The River House, with its proximity to nature and the calming flow of the river nearby, provides an ideal setting for this unique fusion of mortal impatience and fae discipline.

Feyre, however, proves to be a student of restless nature, quick to question or interrupt the meditative states prescribed by Euodia. Despite the fae's patient guidance, Feyre's impulsive tendencies surface, prompting her to question the necessity of extended meditation after only a few days of practice. The clash between mortal impatience and the timeless traditions of the fae becomes a recurring theme in their lessons.

Euodia, undeterred by Feyre's impatience, remains steadfast in her teachings. Armed with Truth-Teller—a formidable weapon with a storied history—she begins to cut a long stick, meticulously crafting it to match her own height. The process, though intriguing, hints at a deeper purpose. When Feyre expresses a desire to move on for the second time in thirty minutes, Euodia decisively slams the stick into the earth, the echo of the impact resonating in the serene surroundings.

The tranquil atmosphere of the River House settles around them, the subtle rustle of leaves and the distant murmur of the river creating a soothing backdrop. Euodia, having reclined on an old blanket Feyre had brought for her, breaks the serene silence with a question that cuts through the air.

"Tell me, Feyre, are you this impatient with your child?" Euodia's inquiry hangs in the air, a sudden interruption in the rhythm of their meditative practice. The question, unexpected and piercing, opens a window into a dimension of Feyre's emotions that goes beyond the exercises of breath and meditation.

"No, of course not," Feyre responds, her voice carrying a defensive tone that echoes the instinctive protectiveness of any mother. The question, though seemingly straightforward, carries a weight that extends beyond the surface, reaching into the realms of maternal instinct and the complexities of emotions tied to parenthood.

"Then be patient with the child inside of you," Euodia advises, her words carrying wisdom that transcends the immediate context. With closed eyes, she imparts a philosophy that intertwines the present with the past, the mortal with the fae, urging Feyre to extend the same patience to herself as she would to her own child.

Feyre, momentarily caught off guard, looks to me as if seeking guidance or understanding. I stand beneath a tree, a silent observer, uncertain of the depths of Euodia's teachings. Feyre's unspoken inquiry is met with a shake of my head, signifying my lack of insight into the fae's profound philosophy.

As Feyre turns her gaze away from me, Euodia, sensing the scrutiny, advises her not to look at me. The statement, given with closed eyes, carries an air of mystery and caution. Overhead, the black raven watches with a discerning eye, mirroring my own vigilance.

Feyre's plea, a soft yet desperate utterance, cuts through the air, carrying with it the weight of a struggle hidden beneath the veneer of control. Unbeknownst to Euodia, Feyre had grappled with a surge of unbridled magic the previous night, a tumultuous incident that left Cassian dangerously close to the edge of a fiery disaster. Instead of a mere flicker, Feyre's attempt to light a candle erupted into an uncontrollable blaze, engulfing not only the intended target but also the surrounding table and curtains