Chapter 8

Pictures are just give an idea. If you know the original creator of any of these, please leave a comment so I can give credit!

Azriel:

I stand in a wide open clearing at the side of the mountain, with the city sprawling out behind me. The winds today are especially strong and unyielding, blowing with such force that it causes my shadows to hide - as if they were afraid to blow away - and my slightly longer hair to whip around my face. The sky above is heavy and grey, shrouded in thick clouds that never seem to part. Despite this dreary weather, it is almost calming here; something about the wild force of nature makes me feel alive and connected to something more basic than the busy way of protecting a court.

The trees' leaves are gracefully drifting to their final resting places on the earth, painting the green grass in a vibrant display of early fall colours. The wood is groaning in dissent against the demanding strength of each gust of wind, and the birds have hidden away in their nests until it is safe to come out again. It's as if nature is preparing itself for the coming winter months; everything around us has been blanketed with a feeling of stillness and anticipation. Or perhaps that is just a personal feeling, from having to be here right now.

Rhysand, Cassian, and I had ventured to the highest peaks of the mountain. With the Illyrian blood running through our veins, meaning our wings gave us an advantage when it came to covering that kind of terrain. It would be much easier for us to soar above the cliffs, scaling up the mountain with ease compared to if we had been on foot. It is not at all customary for the three of us to fly together anymore, so when we do, it's always a welcomed surprise. The feeling of happiness and delight that floods through me in those moments is truly unparalleled. It reminds me of a time when our family was much smaller and closer knit between us brothers, and though I wouldn't want to trade our ever growing family for anything, the nostalgic feeling is nice. It helps to push away the dark clouds of my mind and enables me to take a breath. The memories capture all the moments that we shared together, small things like drinking on summer days while exploring or just sitting around and chatting late into the night. Cassian's laughter rang out loudly, and his boisterous shouts affirmed that he was sharing the same joy. Even Rhysand laughed freely, if only for a moment, the darkness that clings to his mind being blown away by the wind.

However, the reality of our mission soon set in once we reached the mountain peak. We had just landed here a few moments ago, and Cassian's plan was simple: we follow the compass. Of course, it seemed much easier said than done as I remembered the last time I had held that compass - it had rendered me unconscious with its power. Regardless, I am determined to push forward with this task; not only does Feyre need help, but so does the rest of the courts.

Cassian is getting increasingly frustrated as he tries to remove a leaf that had become lodged in the talon of one of his wings. He flaps them in an attempt to dislodge it, only to find that it wouldn't budge. "Just take the damn thing," he mutters under his breath while pointing to the compass.

Rhysand levels an unamused glance at him: "Need some help?" He queries while Cassian continues to vigorously flap his wings.

"Stupid thing won't come off," He growles, his frustration evident in his tone as he unsheathed a dagger. He tries to look over his shoulder to his left while holding the weapon towards the wing.

"Stop Cass, before you do more damage to them," Rhysand says before he wavers his hand. A mist of purple night-sky wraps over the leaf and crumbles it away. Cassian shoots Rhysand a look of gratitude.

"So let's begin," Cassian says with a firm clap to my shoulder. My gaze flicks towards Rhysand as he holds the compass firmly in his hand, its metal edges glinting in the light of the day.