Chapter 11

Nesta:

"I do not care. She can stay down there and rot until her memory of the light becomes a distant dream. Female or not, she's dangerous and must be kept behind bars to ensure the safety of everyone else." Rhysand bellows as he slams his fist into the dining table with such force that it shakes. His dark eyes are filled with rage as he pursues around the room, meeting all those present in a stern gaze.

"Careful, do not wake our child." Feyre murmurs from beside him as she poised to wrap her arms around his waist. Rhysand is still silent for a moment as he hesitantly puts his own arms around my sister. He almost lowers his head to rest atop hers but stops at the last second when he remembers the bandage over his ear.

We have all gathered at the River House to discuss what happened earlier. Nearly everyone is accounted for, but Azriel is missing from the group. When I asked Cassian about his brother's strange absence, he sternly warned me not to question it any further. It is unusual for Cassian to address me in such a manner, but upon taking notice of the emotions evident in his gaze, I could not help but remain silent.

"What a fitting change, the halfling now having ears that are more in line with his heritage," I find myself blurting out without any conscious thought to hold me back. Even before I can finish my sentence, I already feel Cassian's arm wrap tightly around my waist. I know he is warning me not to say anything else that will hurt his brother's feelings; yet, even then, it had already slipped out. It's too late for me to take back what had been said. Cassian hurts feelings down the bond, making me feel a small amount of guilt.

"I will gladly put you down there with her," Rhysand says, his voice sharp as daggers and his gaze fixed on me in an effort to intimidate. He stands tall, undoubtedly making himself appear larger than me; but I only respond with a challenging look of my own in return. My brows furrow slightly in stubbornness, my lips drawn together into a thin line as if daring him to come closer. I can feel the force of his anger radiating out, but I will not back down to the male.

"Nesta," Feyre entreats, earnestly trying her best to keep the peace between Rhysand and I, despite our sometimes tumultuous relationship. Without Feyre's ever-present level headedness and forbearance for our feuding, I'm sure we could have come to physical blows years ago. But thanks to her steady influence in our lives, she has been able to keep us in check - encouraging us both towards compromise instead of escalation. She makes sure we don't stab each other when someone has their back turned.

"Yet, the moment the female is put down in the prison, you will not be able to force her to help," Morrigan speaks up, taking a few steps closer towards Rhysand. Feyre moves down and takes a seat in an adjacent chair, allowing her cousins the privacy of their own conversation. The two exchange silent looks as they converse with one another, both of them fully aware of how tense this situation was.

"What did you expect, High Lord?" Amren chimes in while clutching a glass between her hands. It wasn't as if she didn't put up a fight when she stepped into the real world. With every ounce of strength and determination within her being, she vowed to give it all she had and not let anything stand in her way. She was relentless in her pursuits and never took no for an answer; no matter how insurmountable the odds may have seemed at the time. Luckily for Rhysand, Amren was weakened back then, and binding her to him with a promise was easier done than expected.

"She was afraid." Elain then speaks up, her voice soft but clear. We all turn to look at my sister, who sits to my side. With a little blush on her face due to the attention she had suddenly received from us all, Elain nevertheless maintained eye contact with Rhysand. I could sense her nerves in the air and sent Rhysand a warning glare that said,'Don't you dare speak harshly to her'. Dare he raise his voice at her, like he does with me, and I will make sure he pays.