Chapter 6

Pictures are just give an idea. If you know the original creator of any of these, please leave a comment so I can give credit!

Mor:

"Uh, why did it rain so much last night?" I groan in frustration, fury bubbling up inside me as I stumble and nearly fall face first into the hard-packed dirt. I angrily push myself back up, my arms shaking with the effort of restraining myself. I'm so tired of this never-ending cycle; it's like some cruel joke they keep playing on me. The path is too narrow, but if I travel along the edges, then surely something will give eventually. Even though deep down inside,I know there's no escape this

The ground has turned from a soft wooden floor to more of a swamp. Each step feels heavier than usual, as they are weighted down by mud. The woods are dark though we are travelling in the middle of the day. I look up to get a glimpse of the sun through the trees and watch grey clouds hanging low in the sky.

"Tell me again, why I can't simply winnow us?" I grumble out, stepping wrongly on the slippery floor. This time, I nearly fell on my arse if it was not for a hand wrapping around my arm.

I look up and catch the gleaming eyes of my mate before she pulls me up. Emerie smiles at me while shaking her head.

"Focus, Love," She says.

I lean in to give her a quick kiss, feeling the warmth of her skin against mine. As I pull back, I can see her cheeks turning into a deep red hue, and it brings a smile to my face. My heart skips a beat by thought of knowing she is my mate.

Behind me, I hear the sound of Cassian groaning in pain, and I spin around to give him a hard look. But instead of finding him scowling at me, he had his hands clamped against the back of his head, looking sheepish and embarrassed. His groans seemed to increase, and Azriel just looked utterly bored by his show of theatrics. It was an amusing sight, one that would have usually made me laugh out loud if we weren't on such a dire situation.

"Why won't you accept my affection?" Cassian whined, shooting Azriel a piteous look with his bright, poppy-colored eyes.

The Shadows Singer simply rolls his eyes in response before striding purposely ahead. Behind him, I can see Cassian making a show of pretending to be hurt by the shrug off, but he is unable to stop the smirk that tugs at his lips as he giggles at the scene.

"You know what Rhysand said, the magic will alert her of our precense," Emerie answers my earlier questions, brushing off Cassian's tease with a wave of her hand. She knows that we are on a mission and there is no time for fooling around.

Azriel walks to stand beside her, and I can't help but smile at the sight. Emerie has been showing her support for Azriel more and more in recent times, even attempting to grasp some of his trades. At this very moment, they are standing side by side with exactly the same stance of spread legs and arms folded over each other. Both have their heads tipped slightly to the left as though they're sharing a secret. It would seem my mate has picked up habbits from the Shadow Singer.

She already knows, Azriel says in his deep, almost hypnotic voice. I can't help but glance at the shadows that seem to move around his ears, a sign of their correlation with their respective master. It's unsettling in its permanence and intensity; It makes me ponder how much my friend really knows about the lives of others. All the secrets he must keep hidden, never to be uttered aloud. His level of understanding must be vast, and yet he remains quiet. He holds a wealth of knowledge that no one else is privy to but him. I can only imagine what it would feel like to have such power and influence, though almost concealed from public view.

"The woods were ominously silent, and it sent a chill down my spine. Cassian had sidled up beside me, his usual jokey demeanour completely evaporated as if he had flipped a switch. In its place stood the formidable Commander of the Illyrian army, who commanded attention and respect. He slowly craned his head from side to side, surveying our surroundings with intense caution as if danger lurked around every corner.