Chapter 5

Pictures are just give an idea. If you know the original creator of any of these, please leave a comment so I can give credit!

Rhysand:

My boots rest firmly on the small island that serves as a prison, surrounded by an expanse of sea. The crisp air of early autumn nips at my skin through the leathers that are my armour. Taking a deep breath in, I am struck by the smell of salt and water in the air. I survey my surroundings carefully, turning to face the sea before me, letting its coolness coat my wings with slight tingles of pain. I take comfort in its presence, for it.

Azriel stands to my left, accompanying me on this endeavour. After returning from the meeting yesterday, I met with Amren this morning. She wasn't at all surprised by the outcome and had begrudgingly acquiesced to Helion's words. When I had informed her that I was planning to go alone, she'd almost hit me upside the head in response. She'd declared it foolish of me to travel without company and that I should take somebody with me; hence why I chose Azriel.

Now, standing to my left, he takes in the same captivating view as me. His hair has grown considerably longer than usual, which gives his face a greater sense of definition with its added texture of curls. His leathers, which usually cling snugly to his well-toned figure, appear slightly looser today. It is not something that many others would have noticed, but it is clear to me and his brother as well. I can't help but question whether or not bringing him here was a good idea.

I can still remember the night from a week ago, when he had informed me of what the prisoner had said. In the midst of it, I hadn't had much time to contemplate his words and reflect on them. Everyone's attention and priority were pointed toward Feyre. Her wellbeing took precedence over everything else, so no one really paused to give heed to the prisoner's statements.

"Ready?" He asks me, turning to me.

Azriel has always been difficult to read, his face often shrouded by the shadows. But in all these years I've known him, I can tell when something is amiss; I can see the tension in his eyes, the twitch of his lip as he bites down on his jaw. His demeanour suggests a man with many secrets to keep, and while he may try to hide it, it's clear that something is troubling him deeply.

"Yes," I answer back before turning around.

I stretch out an arm and gesture towards the mysterious rock; it almost seems to creak as a hidden path starts to appear. The door behind me only illuminates so far, giving off a faint glimmer of light that seems to be devoured by the darkness in front of me. I hesitate for a moment, feeling slight apprehension about what lies ahead in this unknown territory.

Stepping inside, I'm aware of Azriel following me and the ominous sound of the door shutting behind us. We continue moving forward, deeper into the mountain. The further we go, the more I sense a presence that inhabits this place.

Behind me, Azriel suddenly kicks a rock a little too hard, and I turn to him with a warning glare before I take in his expression of pure focus. It's clear he is completely engrossed in the task before him, and I can feel my anger dissipate almost as quickly as it had appeared.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Do you not hear it?" He asks while looking around us, but all there is are walls of rock and dirt.

"Hear what?" I ask, taking a step towards him.

"The whispers," he says in a grave voice while turning his gaze towards me.

I strain my ears, trying to make out any sound in the darkness. The only thing that interrupts the heavy silence is the noise of Azriel and I breathing.