Chapter 23

Azriel:

News comes the next day from Rhysand that Feyre feels up for another session. Looking at her, she seems to have regained her strength, the remnants of autumn slowly giving way to the encroaching winter chill. Euodia and Feyre stand outside, the crisp air biting at their skin. Yet, Euodia claims it's perfect for Feyre, insisting she will be able to feel the connection to the winter element more profoundly.

In preparation for the session, Feyre takes a deep breath, her gaze shifting into the distance. Euodia observes, her keen eyes searching for any signs of the magic stirring within Feyre. The stillness of the moment stretches, and the winter wind whispers through the air. Feyre's hand moves to the same place she reached during the previous session, where Rhysand's magic had answered her call.

However, as minutes pass, nothing seems to happen. The connection to the winter element remains elusive. Euodia watches closely, her own connection with shadows attuned to the subtle shifts in the environment. She wonders if there's a key, a hidden door that Feyre must unlock to access this particular aspect of her power.

Feyre's brow furrows in concentration, frustration evident on her face. Euodia offers a reassuring nod, silently urging her to persevere. The elements often respond to the inner state of the wielder, and perhaps Feyre's emotional landscape plays a crucial role in unlocking the dormant winter magic within her.

The winter chill intensifies, and Euodia can almost sense the dormant magic dancing at the edges of Feyre's awareness. It's a delicate dance between Feyre, the elements, and the shadows that Euodia commands. They stand together in the fading daylight, determined to unveil the mysteries that lie within Feyre's connection to the winter element.

Rhysand, having received word about the Illyrians camping outside of Velaris, leaves to meet with Cassian to discuss the situation. The Illyrians, restless and yet to venture into the city, have become a cause of concern for the High Lord. The conversation unfolds in Rhysand's private study, where the air is thick with tension, and the shadows seem to listen intently.

Cassian, loyal to both his people and his High Lord, expresses his discontent. Accusations fly as Cassian accuses Rhysand of favouring Velaris at the expense of the rest of his people. It's a sentiment born not out of malice but of genuine concern for those who have yet to find a haven within the city.

Rhysand, seated behind his desk, listens with a measured calmness, his eyes betraying the weight of responsibility he carries. He understands Cassian's perspective, acknowledging the valid concern for the Illyrians who still struggle outside the city walls. The burden of leadership weighs heavily on Rhysand's shoulders, and the delicate balance of prioritising Velaris while not neglecting the broader needs of his people is a constant challenge.

Cassian's history as a bastard, mistreated by Illyrians during his childhood, adds a personal layer to the discussion. His unwavering love for the Illyrian people has been a driving force throughout his life. This passion clashes with Rhysand's complex role as a leader who must navigate the intricate politics of Prythian.

The study becomes a battleground of ideologies, both rooted in love for their people but differing in approach. Shadows flicker across the room as the conversation unfolds, each word echoing the tension that lingers between the High Lord and his most trusted warrior. The fate of the Illyrians outside Velaris hangs in the balance, and the resolution of this discussion will shape the future relations between the Night Court and the proud warriors of the skies.

"Fine," Cassian hisses, frustration evident in the lines of his face as Rhysand dismisses his concerns. With an abrupt rise from his chair, Cassian appears ready to press the matter further. However, a timely knock on the door interrupts the brewing tension. My shadows stir, sensing the presence behind the door, and I anticipate the visitor's identity.