Chapter 13

Euodia:

The male's intense gaze, which has been laser-focused on the interrogation, suddenly shifts, transforming from an overwhelming concentration to a distant and vacant stare. It is as if his mind has momentarily detached from the present, drifting into some unseen realm of contemplation. During this mental departure, a few of his shadows, loyal extensions of his power, flickers and darts over the table.

As if summoned by the abstraction of his thoughts, the shadows congregate, forming a looming cloud of darkness that settles just by the edge of the table. The air grows heavier, and an eerie silence pervades the room as the shadows coalesce, casting an otherworldly ambience over the unfolding scene. It is a subtle yet unmistakable manifestation of the man's internal struggle, a manifestation that left an indelible mark on the atmosphere, hinting at the depth of his thoughts and the potential turbulence lurking within.

With cautious curiosity, I extend my arm towards the enigmatic creatures. Rather than recoiling in fear or shying away, they respond in kind, reaching out to my fingers with an almost ethereal grace. As our connection solidifies, I feel the softness of their touch, a sensation akin to a gentle gust of wind caressing my skin. It is as if, in that moment, I am soaring through the vast expanse of the sky, arms spread wide to embrace its boundless wonders.

Flexing my fingers, I marvel at the responsiveness of the shadows. Instead of resisting, they mould and conform to fit the contours of my hand, as though they were unwilling to part from the intimate contact with my skin. The symbiotic dance between my outstretched arm and the shadows creates a mesmerising tableau, a silent conversation between the tangible and the intangible, leaving me awestruck by the myforged in that delicate interaction.

How did this male get his hands on this type of magic? But I leave the question for now, having other things to think about - for starters where I am.

I scrutinise his home more closely, recognizing it to be vastly different to the dwellings of both fae and humans. The air carries the lingering scent of porridge and cinnamon from the food he had previously given me. It was a pleasant meal, but I can't help wondering if any food could taste good when it feels like you're hollowing out your own stomach. That's what I tell myself, anyway; that perhaps understandable stupidity is responsible for me foolishly consuming his food. After all, any poison could easily have been hidden in it.

But there is a different scent in the air, one that is made up of night-chilled mist, cedar, and something completely his own. When I first held him while he was unconscious, this scent drew me in, and it has been lingering ever since. I find myself unable to completely identify it in words, yet it surrounds us no matter where we go. It's like having a distant memory just lingering on the back of my mind.

Abruptly, the shadows recoil from my touch, leaving a lingering presence on my skin. Raising my gaze, I observe the man as he extends his hand in a summoning gesture, coaxing the shadows back to his command. An intriguing detail catches my attention – despite being indoors, he perpetually wears leather gloves. It strikes me as an oddity, sparking a cascade of questions. What could he be trying to conceal beneath the gloves? Tattoos? Dry hands? Perhaps a hidden wedding ring? The absurdity of these ponderings prompts a quiet laugh to escape my lips.

In this peculiar abode, the male's enigma deepens. Fae females, in my experience, were not markedly different from females in other realms. With limited exposure to his home, it becomes evident that no female resided here. The absence of plants or pottery, coupled with the general lack of small personal touches, betrays the undeniable fact that this is a bachelor's abode. The revelation adds another layer to the mystery, leaving me to wonder about the solitary existence he maintained and the secrets that linger beneath the surface of his carefully guarded persona.