Chapter 1

Pictures are just give an idea. If you know the original creator of any of these, please leave a comment so I can give credit!

Azriel:

It is Sunday night, and most of the family and friends have gathered at the High Lord and Lady's house.

As we all gather around the dinner table, the feast that Nuala and Cerridwen have prepared smells truly tantalizing. The main course is comprised of succulent and perfectly cooked turkey and rabbit, accompanied by a multitude of side dishes - from potato salad to chopped vegetables, as well as freshly baked bread. Amren and Cassian have even been thoughtful enough to bring up some bottles of wine from Rhysand's soon-to-be emptied cellar. It seems that wine has become an activity they have bonded over, especially after the war.

Feyre, Emerie, Cassian, Morrigan, and Elain were all seated on one side of the lengthy table. I noticed little Nyx and Nesta were sitting with Amren and Rhysand on my side of the table.

Most of the evening was filled with intriguing conversations and lighthearted banter from Cassian and Morrigan, who were always sure to bring a sense of liveliness to any event. Everyone knew how much this particular duo loved to be the life of the party, but what really made them so special was their ability to make those around them feel comfortable and included. Either one was sure to bring anyone around the table into their banter, ensuring that everyone was present in the moment. It was truly a gift they both had.

To Nyx's parents' great chagrin, he has begun to imitate his Uncle Cassian's ear-splitting guffaw and take to slapping the tabletop while seated in his high Of course, Cassian delights in this behaviour and takes any opportunity to teach the toddler anything he can think of that could be deemed mischievous. Feyre mothering scolding look thankfully manages to put both kids back in their place when they become a bit too unruly. Otherwise, the well-known death stare from her oldest sister is sure to put Cassian back in his seat.

However settled, I may have felt it was difficult to push myself into the back of my seat with my brother's eagle-eyed gaze lingering on me. Nothing ever slipped by the High Lord of the Night Court, and Elain's strategic decision to hurry and take a seat in front of me had not gone unnoticed. It had been noticed so much that both Amren and Rhysand moved their chairs without a word, solidifying my suspicions that Rhysand must have requested them to separate Elain and I to the best of the family abilites

Weeks ago, I began to notice a pattern forming amongst my friends; when a seat next to me opened in the River House, it was as if Morrigan, Feyre or Emerie had some kind of sixth sense because they would always be the quickest ones to jump on it. Likewise, when we were heading from the House of Wind to Velaris and Nesta had to choose between accompanying me or her mate, she opted for me without fail.

However, the most apparent sign that something had been set in motion was the characteristic bluntness of Amren. She may have been an ancient and powerful female, but her lack of subtlety when it came to any secret plans betrayed them all. She was never one for politeness or tact; she wore her heart on her sleeve and was always direct with what she wanted to say.

"Do not fall for a pretty fawn Shadow Singer," She had said over a game of chess. It had come out of the blue, after an hour of listening to her time at the Summer Court by her mate. I had not commented on her statement, and neither had she. Instead, she steered the conversation right back to its original track.

"Azriel?" The voice of Elain jolts me out of my train of thought, shaking me out of my stupor.

"Yes?" I ask her, striving to keep my reply as level as possible. From the corner of my eye, I can feel Rhysand's gaze upon us, clearly disapproving of our conversation. Even though it's difficult, I refuse to look away from her and give in to any kind of power-play that my brother may employ should I not abide by his wishes. The tension is palpable in the room, but I continue to maintain an air of neutrality about me while looking at he female who looks like the innocent fawn Amren compared her to.