Chapter 38

Euodia:

As I lay in my bed, enveloped by the soft embrace of darkness, I am serenaded by the gentle pitter-patter of raindrops against the windowpane. Each droplet carries with it a melody of its own, a soothing lullaby that dances through the night air. The rhythmic pattern of the rain creates a symphony of sound, weaving its way into the very fabric of the night.

Outside, the sky is shrouded in a thick blanket of clouds, obscuring the stars from view. The heavens weep with sorrow, their tears falling in torrents upon the earth below. I can almost feel the weight of their grief, a tangible presence that hangs heavy in the air.

Amidst the downpour, the world outside grows quiet, as if nature itself holds its breath in anticipation. The usual cacophony of nocturnal creatures falls silent, their voices hushed by the relentless onslaught of rain. Even the birds, usually so vocal in their songs, seek shelter from the storm, their plaintive calls muffled by the drumming of raindrops.

I listen intently, my senses heightened by the stillness that surrounds me. Each raindrop that strikes the windowpane is like a whisper from the heavens, a gentle reminder of the power and majesty of nature. And as I lie there, bathed in the soft glow of moonlight filtering through the clouds, I feel a sense of peace wash over me.

As I lie in bed, cocooned in the silence of the night, my thoughts drift inexorably back to the sudden disappearance of Azriel. The memory hangs heavy in the air, casting a shadow over the tender moments we shared mere hours ago. With each passing moment, the weight of his absence presses down upon me, a gnawing sense of unease that refuses to be quelled.

Questions swirl through my mind like leaves caught in a tempest. Did I do something wrong? What thoughts raced through Azriel's mind as he slipped away from the warmth of our shared embrace, leaving me alone in the darkness? The uncertainty gnaws at the edges of my consciousness, a relentless tide that threatens to consume me.

In the midst of my turmoil, the sound of the front door opening downstairs shatters the fragile tranquillity of the night. A shadow flits across the room, a silent messenger bearing news of my solitary vigil to its elusive master.

Azriel, the spymaster, moves with the stealth of a shadow, his presence a mere whisper in the darkness. I strain my ears, listening intently as he makes his way through the house, each footfall a subtle echo in the stillness of the night. With practised precision, he ascends the stairs, his steps purposeful and measured.

Standing before my closed bedroom door, Azriel hesitates, his silent vigil a testament to the unspoken tension that hangs between us. I sense his presence on the other side of the door, a silent sentinel guarding the threshold between us. Yet he makes no move to announce himself, no gesture of acknowledgment to signal his presence.

I lie still, my breath caught in my throat as I wait for him to break the silence that stretches between us like a taut bowstring. But the seconds tick by in agonising silence, the weight of his unspoken words pressing down upon me like a leaden cloak.

Outside, the rain continues its relentless assault, a symphony of sound that mirrors the tumult of emotions raging within me. The steady rhythm of the downpour serves as a backdrop to the silent standoff between Azriel and me, a reminder of the tempest that rages both within and without.

In the darkness of my room, I am left to grapple with the swirling currents of uncertainty that threaten to engulf me. With each passing moment, the distance between us grows wider, a gaping chasm that stretches beyond the reach of words. And as I lie there, bathed in the dim glow of moonlight filtering through the window, I cannot help but wonder what secrets lie hidden behind Azriel's inscrutable facade.