Chapter 14

Cassian:

"Cassian, Morrgian, and Feyre are coming," Rhysand announces, breaking the tense atmosphere that permeates the room. In a shimmer of scarlet red, Morrigan and Feyre materialise. Rhysand promptly stands from his chair, offering it to his wife with a gracious smile. Feyre accepts the gesture with gratitude, and Morrigan positions herself beside me, casting a keen eye on the mysterious female before us.

Euodia mirrors the same observant scrutiny toward the newly arrived members. However, her gaze quickly fixates on Feyre. She narrows her eyes, appraising my High Lady with a thorough once-over, scanning her from head to toe. The air thickens with unspoken tension as the silent exchange between the two females hints at a brewing undercurrent of intrigue and potential challenges.

"What did you do?" Euodia asks, her voice carrying a noticeable chill. I instinctively tighten my grip on one of my blades, ready for any potential threat. Rhysand, however, swiftly steps in to defend his mate.

"Careful how you speak to my wife," he warns, the edge in his voice palpable as he positions himself protectively behind Feyre.

"Hello," Feyre greets, her tone ever the loving High Lady.

Euodia remains silent, intensifying the narrowing of her eyes as she scrutinises Feyre. Azriel takes a step forward from behind her, a subtle indication of vigilance, but he offers no verbal warnings to the stranger. Instead, his gaze locks with Rhysand's, a silent communication passing between the two males positioned behind their respective females. The air brims with tension as the unspoken dynamics and potential confrontations play out in the charged atmosphere of the room.

Morrigan, standing beside me, grips my wrist, and I turn to look at her. Worry is subtly masked behind her warrior demeanour, and with a simple nod, I convey a shared understanding. She returns to observing the unfolding scene before us.

"I'm sorry I could not be here for your first meetings with my husband," Feyre resumes, her welcoming voice untouched by the tension in the room.

Euodia regards her with a blank stare, all signs of emotions slipping away from her eyes.

"I'm afraid I'm the reason as to why you were brought here," Feyre continues with a sigh. Rhysand offers a supporting hand on her shoulder, a gesture she reciprocates with a firm grip. The unity between them is evident, a seamless partnership as they face whatever challenges lay ahead. The revelation adds a layer of complexity to the situation, leaving us all to wonder about the intricate web of connections and motivations that have led to this moment.

"What do you want, human?" Euodia asks, her voice now stone-cold as she fixes her gaze on Feyre. The term 'human' hangs in the air, a revelation that sends shockwaves through the room. Morrigan gasps beside me, and we exchange bewildered looks. Even Azriel, ever composed, shakes his head in denial. No one had uttered that word.

"How do you—" Feyre begins, her voice laced with astonishment.

"Know that you are human, or at least were? I can feel it. I smell it. I taste it. I can see it," Euodia explains, and for a fraction of a second, it seems like her eyes have turned completely black, devoid of any colour or whites. Yet, the lack of reaction from everyone else suggests it might have been nothing more than a trick played on my senses.

Amren leans across the table at this revelation. "Daddy, give you those tricks?"

Euodia blinks once, then twice, before opening her mouth. "I never knew my father. I have no idea what you are speaking of," she replies, tilting her head slightly. The air thickens with intrigue, as the mysterious female's enigmatic background becomes an additional layer to the unfolding narrative.