Chapter 39

Euodia:

The River house stands nestled among the verdant foliage, its wooden exterior gleaming under the warm hues of the setting sun. On the spacious veranda, the Inner Circle gathers, their expressions a blend of determination and concern as they bid farewell to Rhysand and his companions.

Cassian embraces Rhysand in a heartfelt hug, his voice filled with genuine affection. "Take care, brother," he says, the weight of unspoken worry evident in his tone. With a hearty pat on the back, he conveys his silent support and camaraderie.

Beside them, Feyre stands with a resolute demeanour, her hand resting lightly on her hip instead of her swollen abdomen. The absence of her pregnancy eliminates an added layer of complexity from their journey, allowing for a more streamlined travel experience. Amren, ever vigilant, observes her friend with a watchful eye, her concern for Feyre's well-being etched on her features.

Azriel stands at Feyre's side, a steadfast presence amidst the uncertainty of their impending journey. His eyes betray a hint of apprehension, reflective of the weight of responsibility he carries as one of Rhysand's most trusted allies.

Meanwhile, I remain apart from the group, a silent observer of the scene unfolding before me. My mind is a tumult of conflicting emotions, torn between the desire to support my friends and the apprehension of the challenges that lie ahead. The journey to the Day Court will undoubtedly be fraught with peril, but I cling to the hope that we will emerge stronger and united in our mission.

The River house exudes a tranquil atmosphere as I stand on the veranda, the soft breeze rustling through the surrounding trees. My thoughts drift aimlessly until a familiar voice interrupts my reverie.

"Euodia," the gentle tones draw my attention, and I turn to find Elain standing behind me. She is adorned in a delicate pink winter coat, the colour complementing her warm complexion, and her hands are ensconced in white mittens adorned with embroidered suns. I can't help but raise a curious eyebrow at the symbolism, though I refrain from commenting as a faint blush colours Elain's cheeks at my silent acknowledgment.

"Is there anything I can do for you, Elain?" I inquire, curious as to what might prompt her sudden approach.

Elain fidgets nervously, visibly weighing her words before finally blurting out, "Here!" Her rushed delivery catches me off guard, and she appears momentarily stunned by her own outburst. Her brown eyes widen like those of a startled deer, adding a touch of vulnerability to her expression.

I offer her a gentle smile, extending my hand to accept the small brown envelope she proffers. Delicate swirls of hand-drawn flowers adorn its surface, undoubtedly crafted by Elain herself.

"For me?" I inquire playfully, noting the deepening of her blush in response to my teasing.

"N-no!" she stammers, her grin betraying her attempt at denial as I take the letter from her trembling hands.

"Have no fear, I will deliver it safely," I reassure her, recognizing the significance of the missive she entrusts to me. It is undoubtedly meant for her mate, and I am honoured to assist in conveying her message.

As I tuck the envelope into the pocket of my coat, Elain offers a relieved smile, her gratitude evident in the softening of her features. With a final nod of appreciation, she retreats from the veranda, leaving me alone with my thoughts once more.

I watch her retreating figure, a sense of warmth and camaraderie settling over me. She goes to give her younger sister a hug, while subtly notching their oldest who stands like a dark thundercloud close to them, shooting daggers with her eyes at Rhysand, as this is all his to blame.