Chapter 3

Pictures are just give an idea. If you know the original creator of any of these, please leave a comment so I can give credit!

Feyre:

Sitting in the studio, I try to bring to life the image that I desire to paint. It is a recollection of Viviane when we met this summer.

The High Lord of Winter and his beloved wife eagerly await the arrival of their second child, who is expected to be born around the Winter Solstice. Preparations have already been made for this festive season and the occasion of the newfound heir. There's excitement in the air as they prepare for this new addition to their family. Everyone from servants, courtiers, and family members all join in on the anticipation with great joy and enthusiasm. When news spread through that part of the kingdom about an impending birth of a second child to the pair.

Rhysand and I visited Kallias' Court a couple of months ago, where the news was revealed to us. We had been told by Morrigan who struggled to keep a secret, so it took a great deal of effort to act surprised when the announcement was made. My feeble attempt at acting was noticed by the couple present there, and Viviane's grumble of disapproval could be heard from across the room. Thankfully, she quickly forgot her consternation as dessert arrived, and we were able to enjoy the night. Kallias was sure thankful that the dessert could distract his mate.

Kallias had later that evening approached me discreetly and requested a portrait of Viviane. He then showed me the memory he wanted immortalized in paint and to be sent out to them when their little one is born. Without hesitation, I accepted his request, knowing that this moment was worthy of capturing for generations to come. For weeks, I worked on the painting using my best skills; I put everything that I could into it.

The background is a snow-covered landscape of out of focus trees, with Viviane standing in the centre. She is grinning mischievously at me, Kallias, while loosely holding their little girl in her arms. The girl looks blissfully unaware and content, her eyes twinkling as she rests against her mother's bulging pregnant stomach. As Viviane smiles down fondly at the small child in her embrace. It is a lovely scene, and I find myself smiling at the serene picture.

A decade has passed since the war. 10 tumultuous years of reconstructing the Night Court and restoring ties with our allies. During this time, I have gotten to understand my court more deeply, and I have been determined to become the high lady they need; the one that my mate deserves. It has been a difficult journey filled with struggles and obstacles along the way, but I have never strayed from my commitment to achieve a better future for everyone in our court.

The war may have ended a decade ago, but the after effects remain in everyone's mind. Perhaps more so for my friends who take every tiny sign as a possible precursor to danger. It's something I'd hoped we would grow out of over time, but it has stayed with us, making them think monsters lurk around every corner and worrying everyone around them. Rhysand always puts his court first, no matter what the cost is to himself - something that slowly erodes him from the inside.

It has been a decade of adapting to the darkness in our souls. The nightmares may be fewer now, but they still haunt us when we least expect it. It has also been 10 years of motherhood, full of both difficult moments and beautiful ones; moments that we wouldn't trade for anything in the world. On top of that, it's been another 10 years spent growing together as a family. We've gained more understanding and love for one another during this time.

"Mama!"

Nyx's energetic voice jolts me from my thoughts as I hear him bounding up behind me. I pivot around and spot both him and Morrigan, who are perched on a stool in front of an easel. As he plops down beside her, she grins at us both.