3.

✧༺♥༻∞

✧༺♥༻∞

"I told you, [L/N]-san, my blood pressure is fine."

You take a deep breath, folding your hands together in your lap as you face your patient. "I understand, Okawara-san, and I know you've been working extremely hard to get your blood pressure under control. Compared to your previous visits, there has been improvement and I commend you for that, but considering your age and medical history--"

"You looked at my medical history? Then you should know that my father has high blood pressure but doesn't need to take any medication. Ever!" Okawara-san's face darkens by the second, and you can hear the volume of his voice rising.

You glance nervously at the door for a second, hoping that his voice doesn't reach the ears of others outside. The exam room walls are always thick to prevent eavesdropping and protect patient privacy, but with how angry Okawara-san is getting, you don't know how helpful they'll be.

"I completely understand, but people tend to have different circumstances depending on their lifestyle and environment." You lower your voice to make it just a bit softer and more sympathetic, all while trying to avoid showing emotion on your face. You need to stay calm and placid, and hopefully the patient will follow in suit.

"I'm glad that your father has been fine without having to take any medication, but unfortunately I don't think it's the same for you. Your blood pressure and blood test results showed--"

"Fuck your test results! " He bellows, and you feel yourself instinctively scoot your chair away from him as his face turns scarlet. "I don't know what kind of stupid bitch took my blood and got my blood pressure, but the numbers were wrong! Wrong! I know my body better than anyone, you think I wouldn't notice if you'd try to sell me some fake chemical bullshit ? I walk fine, I eat fine, I breathe fine, so I don't want someone like you," He slowly stands up from his chair, moving closer and pointing a finger menacingly in your direction. "Telling me what to do with my body!"

You want to yell at him that you're just trying to help, that his blood pressure has been clearing the 150/90 upper boundary of stage 2 hypertension for months now, but you keep an empty mask pasted over your face as he looms over you. "I'm sorry-"

"Damn right you're sorry." He interrupts you for what feels like the 80th time this visit, and you stop yourself from letting out a groan. Okawara-san rubs his forehead as he paces around the room, before giving you an absent wave. "Get me a doctor. I want to talk to a licensed expert."

...Oh Jesus.

You turn the chair just a little bit more and sit straight up, legs crossed as you make sure your employee ID card is clearly in sight. "With all due respect sir, I am a doctor. If you would like the expertise of another, I'd be glad to get a colleague to discuss your health exam results more thoroughly with you."

You get the satisfaction of seeing his shocked face for just a split-second as his eyes finally lock on to the employee badge on your chest, but it's quickly washed away as soon as it showed up. "I said I wanted a licensed expert, not some little girl." He spits out the last two words as if he's cursing you, grabbing his bag and suit jacket before opening the exam room door and stomping away. You can hear his footsteps from all the way down the hall, as well as the vague yelling of "Fucking idiots!" and a slew of other expletives as he finally leaves the floor.

You're left sitting in the room in unhinged silence, staring at the wide-open door from where he left. After a few seconds, you finally let out the breath you've been holding and turn to document his refusal on the exam chart. Sometimes you wonder if the headaches and pains you get are from your patients, and not your always-weak body.

Pt declined treatment for stage 2 hypertension. Please have him sign waiver at next visit, or have him fax over -XX/XX/2016

"Doctor [L/N]..."

"[L/N]-san?"

You turn your head to see the chief physician and head nurse of the department peeking their heads into the exam room. A small smile spreads on your face as they glance at you worriedly from outside. "...Dr. Fujiwara, Hirota-san."

"Sounds like someone woke up with a stick up their ass." Hirota-san rolls her eyes as she walks over to you, placing a comforting hand on your shoulder. "What happened?"

"He just really didn't want blood pressure medication, I guess." You place your hand over the one she has on your shoulder, tapping it in response. "It's fine, I probably shouldn't have pushed him too hard on it anyways."

Dr. Fujiwara lets out a low whistle as he leans over your shoulder, peeking at the patient's chart. "He should've been prescribed atorvastatin last year... I'm surprised he hasn't had a heart attack yet."

ALERT: Pt recommended to see male doctor on next visit

You let out a huff as you finish typing the last note on the chart, clicking "save" and finally exiting the record. "I'm not sure he'll be fine for his next exam. I'll give him a call to apologize, and then schedule another appointment with a different doctor—"

"No need." Dr. Fujiwara claps his hand against your back as he shakes his head. "I'll give the patient a call to see if there's anything I can do to... assuage him. Do you have any work left for today?"

Shaking your head, your mind wanders to the number of unread e-mails in your inbox. "Patients, no, but I do have some online messages to respond to."

"And they can wait. Go home early today, [L/N]-kun, I think you need it." He gives you a small smile of understanding, the same one that made him your favorite attending physician while you were still in residency. "Have your migraines gotten any better?"

"Oh," Your hands jolt up to rub at your temples out of habit, but they quickly move away once you realize they're unneeded. "They have, actually. I don't think I've had any specific pains ever since... last week."

"Either way, I still think you should go home and rest." Hirota-san gives you a wave goodbye as she leaves the exam room to return to her station, phone ringing in her pocket. "You deserve it after that!"

As Dr. Fujiwara says his own goodbyes and leaves in suit, you turn off the computer in front of you and relax for a second.

You've dealt with frustrating patients before, and today's just happened to be one of the better ones. Despite all the assurance your coworkers have given, a shard of doubt is wrenched in your gut, making you think that it was still technically your fault -- even with the patient's best interests at heart, there was no reason to push using medication on him as much as you did. His health had already been gradually improving -- slowly, yes, but improving. What if today's visit changed that for worse?

No, Dr. Fujiwara will call him and he'll continue to get medical help. You remind yourself that some things are just out of your control, and that either way the patient will get the treatment he needs in the end.

...It's been a long week. You'll have to take up Dr. Fujiwara's offer to get off early today.

As you step out of the hospital doors and begin making your way down the university campus home, you contemplate what to do with your newfound free time. Maybe you'll finally get something from the bakery down south, since they always seem to be sold out by the time you're finally off work. And after that, you can stop by the supermarket and get groceries to make a home-cooked meal... there's still some leftover enoki mushrooms mom had dropped off earlier this month...

Your train of thought is interrupted by the sound of your phone buzzing in your purse.

Speak of the devil.

✧༺♥༻∞