4.

✧༺♥༻∞

✧༺♥༻∞

You looked at your phone for a few seconds and let out a soft sigh before picking up
"Mom? What is it? Oh, I got off early today."

"Oh! How was work today? Have you eaten dinner yet?" Her chipper voice answers on the other end, questions for this week all ready to go.

"...It was okay. And not yet, I was just planning on stopping by the market to make something with the enoki you gave me earlier this month."

" Ahh, you haven't used those yet? They taste the best when fresh, you know, and have plenty of healthy vitamins and amino acids. Have your headaches and pains been any better since?"

"Yes, actually... maybe it's the new medicine? I don't really think--"

"Fantastic! I'll start growing more right away. Oh no, where did I put the fertilizer..." Despite her tendency to be pushy and overbearing, the joy in her voice that your health has been improving brings a small smile to your face as she rustles through the house in the background.

You've never lasted this long without any new pains or side effects from your medication cropping up, so while you doubt the efficacy of enoki mushrooms, you remind yourself to contact your doctor and let her know that the new medication has had some surprisingly positive results. Doctor Amano has been with you ever since you were in junior high, and you're sure she'll be just as excited to hear about the improvements.

There's more rustling on the other end of the phone, accompanied by light static until your mom speaks again. "By the way, did you ever receive a call from Takada-san again?"

The name makes you stop in the middle of the sidewalk, fingers tightening around the handles of your bag. "...Why would he contact me?"

Uncomfortable silence answers your question, and you feel anger bubbling up your throat. "I told you, I'm not having a marriage interview."

"[F/N]..."

"I refuse. I said so already the first time, so I don't understand why I have to tell you 'no' again." A marriage meeting? With some bastard that only wants some pretty decoration for his home? Bullshit.

"He's a nice man once you get to meet him," your mom emphasizes, the tone of her voice hardening ever so slightly at your adamant refusal. "Please, just meet him one more time, and maybe you'll change your opinion of him!" There's more shuffling on the other side of the phone, and you can hear the sounds of your dad speaking somewhere in the background. Before long, his voice responds on the other end of the receiver.

"[F/N]."

"I'm not having a marriage meeting, dad." You grit your teeth as you continue making your way down the street, wanting to avoid this conversation as much as possible.

"He's willing to take care of you, even with all your health issues. There's not a lot of people in the world that are willing to do that."

"Are you kidding me? The guy doesn't even want me to have a job . He just wants me to stay at home like a pretty little wife, make him some kids, and feed him when he gets hungry."

"And what's wrong with that?" His stern voice responds, and you have to take your phone away from your ear for a second to stare at the screen. Is he serious?

Sure, there's nothing wrong with being a stay-at-home mom. It's been the dream of some of your old friends from high school, and you have nothing against their wishes for the future.

...But for you? Staying home all day, cooking and cleaning until your husband comes home? Waiting around all day with nothing to do, except to serve your husband like a dutiful wife? You couldn't imagine, much less stomach the idea of living a life like that.

" It's not what I want. I thought you knew by now."

Your dad lets out a sigh, and you hear the sound of a door opening and closing before he speaks into the phone again. He's probably moved outside of the house, out of your mom's hearing range. He takes a deep breath, and you continue walking as he considers how to phrase his words.

"We're worried about you, [F/N]."

"I know, and I'm grateful." You let out a heavy sigh of your own. "But I can take care of myself, and I don't need you guys to find a husband for me. Did mom tell you? I haven't had a single migraine or issue in the past week — I think the new medicine's working."

"Even if you get better, we don't want you to be alone."

That sentence makes you snort. Who was it that stopped you from going out with friends on the weekend? And became paranoid every single time you mentioned a male classmate? And now they're rushing you to get married.

"You're already 26, and your mom doesn't want you to still be single by the time you're 30. You're a doctor, you should know how dangerous it is for a woman to have kids once they've hit that age."

Holy shit. You'd throw the phone down on the pavement if you could.

"Just... please consider it. We want you to be happy and safe. Let us know what time works for you so we can schedule a meeting."

Your phone beeps as he hangs up, and you're left in the middle of the street to fume at your situation.

It's not that you don't want to get married — you've succeeded so far at following your life plan, just lacking a little bit in the... romance department.

Maybe lacking is an understatement. But with the way medical school had sucked the living soul out of your social life, and your current work schedule continuing to do so, the idyllic life you had aimed for ever since you were little was slowly becoming more of a dream than an attainable reality.

And you'd rather stab yourself than try and fulfill that dream through an arranged marriage.

Mood now soured, you shove your phone back into your bag and make a turn into the small alley towards your favorite bakery. Today has just been disaster after disaster, and you need some sugar to cheer you up. You're just about to enter the store, hand reaching for the door until it swings inward, bells chiming.

"Thank you, please come again!"

"My pleasure~"

The customer before you turns around to exit, and you're greeted by a familiar pair of black sunglasses and white hair. A grin pops up on his face as his lips curve upwards, sunglasses drooping down as his eyes lock with yours. "Doctor! It's nice to see you again."

✧༺♥༻∞