26.

✧༺♥༻∞

✧༺♥༻∞

His expression doesn't change in the slightest as he rises to his feet, but there's a hint of something in his eyes that makes your stomach drop, letting you know you've hit the nail on the head.

He doesn't reply, and you can hear the gears turning in his head as he tries to decide what to say next.

"Tokyo Jujutsu High is a technical religious school that teaches the philosophical and cultural doctrines of Buddhism. You said you've been teaching for 8 to 9 years now... but that's impossible." You count the numbers on your fingers, adding them together. "Teaching at a technical school might not require a university degree, but getting a teaching credential does. And especially since you'd be teaching with a focus on Buddhist studies, that would at least require a Masters Degree in Literature or Religion, with a specialty in Zen Buddhism. But that's impossible, since you're 27 years old." You put your fingers down to look back up at him. "Which means you either graduated incredibly early, or there's something you're not telling me."

He stands there, unmoving, and you shiver as his gaze pierces straight through you. He's taken off his sunglasses plenty of times around you for you to be comfortable with their bright hue, but the way his eyes are fixed on yours makes you remember how terrifying they can be.

It's the way he towers over you when he's standing, eyes looking down as you can do nothing but stare up.

"You're hiding something and I... don't understand why." You will your hands to stop shaking as you take a deep breath. "I trust you. I really do. So I've been keeping my space all this time, but... I don't even know where Jujutsu Tech is. I don't know what you 'teach'. Can't you just tell me these things?"

He lets out a huff, staring up at the ceiling as he squeezes his eyes shut. "I think my students deserve their own privacy, too. Just like I don't expect you to tell me everything about your patients, there's some things I can't tell you."

Privacy? Students? "I never mentioned anything about your students, Satoru, you're dodging the question." You bite back the urge to add a "like always" at the end. "I'm just asking you about your job. We've been dating for... what, half a year now? I'm just being honest. I want to understand."

"Well..." He shrugs, glancing back down at you. "You don't need to, really."

He shoves his hands into his pockets, leaning against the wall. "It's kinda complicated. Honestly, it's better if you don't understand."

Another thing you don't need to know. Another thing to be protected from.

It's useless. You feel like you're talking to a brick wall.

Your fingers ball into a fist as you stare up at him, his eyes avoiding yours. "It's not that complicated. Is being honest with me that hard?"

His eyes flick over to yours, peering down, and there's steel in his voice as he speaks. "It's not that complicated. Why do you need to know?"

...Ha.

"You know what? You're right." A sarcastic laugh bubbles up your throat, and you let yourself fall back against the wall as you stare at him in shock.

"Why do I need to know? Everything is too dangerous for me, anyways. I shouldn't do anything, because I'll be too stupid to understand it. I shouldn't go outside, because it's bad for my health." The words come out harsher than you mean them to, yet it feels a bit deserved. "It's so stupid of me, isn't it? To worry about my boyfriend. To want to know how he's doing. I mean... it's not like we're close, are we?"

Almost instantly, his eyebrows furrow and the corners of his lips curl down in a frown. "You know that's not what I meant."

"Then what did you mean?"

He groans, putting a hand on his forehead. "You wouldn't understand--"

"Then explain." You surprise yourself with the biting voice that comes out of your throat, but you're too focused on the miscommunicating brick wall in front of you to apologize. "I can't understand if you don't explain it to me."

Satoru slides his hand down his face, sighing as he turns away. He has that faraway look on his face again, and you do nothing but watch as he grabs his jacket and puts on his shoes to leave.

"Maybe you'll get it one day." He doesn't bother looking back before letting the door close behind him. The lock clicks shut.

In the end, he'd rather run away than explain. Funny.

Hilarious. Absolutely comical. Bile rises up in your throat as you make your way down the hall of your empty apartment to collapse on the couch, lights humming steadily on the ceiling above.

...

It's quiet.

✧༺♥༻∞