Part 5

Are We There Yet?

“Mum?” Jay says

“Yes, baby?” she replies. Her eyes are fixed on the road.

“Are we there yet?” he asks.

I giggle. This reminds me of when Jay and I were kids.

Whenever we went on holiday together, every half hour we would sing “Are we there yet?” until our parents were in need of fresh air or a rest stop. It used to drive them beyond crazy.

“No, sweety, we’ll be there in the next hour or two,” she smiles slightly.

I can tell that she remembers these times too. I look at Jay and he looks at me too. He grins and winks. I start giggling again. I’m in a very good mood.

“Mum, I think Jamie’s high on something,” Jay says, feigning fear. “She won’t stop laughing.”

“No, Mrs. B, I think your son has driven me off the brink of insanity,” I reply, grinning.

“You know what, Jamie?” she replies. “I think that might be the case.”

She looks at her rear-view mirror and winks at me. Jay sees her wink and yells,

“Hey! You’re meant to be on my side, mum!”

Mrs. B laughs and focuses on the road again.

“It’s true, Jay,” I grin. “You’re driving everyone insane.”

“Me?” Jay says, pretending to be shocked. “I would never.”

“You should keep telling yourself that, Jay,” I say, patting his shoulder. “Maybe one day you’ll believe it.”

 “How’s about we take a break?” Mrs. B suggests.

“That’s fine with me!” Jay smiles.

“Same here!” I reply.

 “There’s a gas station a few kilometres away from here,” Mrs. B says. “We’ll stop there.”

I look out of the car window. We’re driving past a mountain range. I’ve just noticed how beautiful the mountains are. You don’t get to see sights like this in the big city. These mountains remind me of Lance and me. He wrote me a poem once. I still remember the day he gave it to me.

I was waiting for him by the bus stop. He walked up to me, gave me a rose and a piece paper that was folded in half. I hugged him and unfolded the paper. It was a poem. He’d written it himself.

I started to read it:

You are the reason why I open

My eyes

Day in and day out.

You are the rhythm my heart beats to.

You are:

My inspiration, my love,

My dreamgirl come true.

You are

My weakness, my strength.

I look at you and fall in love

All over again.

You are:

My light, my way

My rock.

You are:

My all, my whole.

No mound, hill or mountain can ever stop me